Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2006, 01:40 AM

Default Re: SNG advice :; chasing draws in sngs.

[ QUOTE ]
IF you do flop top pair with this sort of hand, would you bet into a few players to atleast see whee you are, or do you believe this is a waste of chips since if you get played back at you are pretty much folding, and the amount of times you get played back at when betting top pair with a suited connector doesn't justify the amount of times you win a small pot with it only, and therefore ONLY play these hands for straights/flushes.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the problem with playing suited connectors. You flop a pair or a draw far more often than you'll flop a flush or straight. Then you don't want to give it up. Let's say you limp 98s, and the board is 942. You bet out with top pair, and three people call. One of them has Q9, one has a deuce, and the other one has a ragged ace. Now what are you going to do on the turn? The Q9 will never raise, he'll just bleed you all the way to the river, where the donk with the ace will hit and scoop the pot.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:35 AM

chipEV != $EV.

Each chip lost is worth more than each chip gained.

Therefore pot odds have to be much greater in an SnG than cashgame for it to be +EV to chase.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I have opposite problem.Yesterday I lost 14 buy-ins, when I played SNG (11+1) with maniacs.Playing tight, I almost every sng stay alive down to last 6-5 players, with reasonable stack.Then start stealing blinds.
BUT yesterday, 5 of 6 players see the flop, I cannot bluff.They call BB, raise , push EVERY flop or preflop. It is pure gambling when you try win over 5 players in one push.

[/ QUOTE ]
then tighten up and let them tangle. if they are that loose.

[/ QUOTE ]
yes, but if you have about 2000 chips and blinds are 200/400 you cannot wait too long for good cards!And if you get them, you have still 5 players on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
dont know what to tell u bro but pushing at 200/400 and getting 5 callers is something i am not familiar with.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's obvious that this guy has no idea what the 10BB rule/pushbotting/ICM is and is probably standard raising 3BB on the bubble at 200/400 with 3000 chips.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yes, but if you have about 2000 chips and blinds are 200/400 you cannot wait too long for good cards!And if you get them, you have still 5 players on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch, how does one argue with that... Unexploitable argument..