Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2006, 12:45 PM

Default Re: How big of a prick was I?

I say well played
Old 07-13-2006, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Never argue at a little league baseball game. But given what happened I think your last line to the other coach was pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true. First off, lots of the times the umpires don't know the rules well enough. This is particularly true in leagues that special rules that are not standard baseball rules, which is often the case at younger ages and the ability to steal bases/advance on passed balls, as Evan pointed out. There is nothing wrong with arguing a call when the umpire is getting something wrong based on the rules of the league or the rules of baseball. This is different than arguing a close play or balls and strikes. This is arguing a rule, and there is a black and white answer as to whether or not the play in question was allowed or not.

Arguing judgement calls in little league = retarded.
Arguing calls where the umpire is interpreting a rule wrong = standard.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Both you and the other coach were disrespecting the game and being a terrible example to the children. Grow up and act like the role model you're supposed to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

As someone who has both coached at that age level and umpired for that age level, nothing about what happened seems terribly out of line to me. Arguing incorrect calls = standard, even at that level. Arguing with an ump in little leagues usually isn't the kind of stuff you see in the majors with kicking dirt and finger pointing and yelling and whatnot. Unless it escalated to that level, there's really nothing wrong with going out there to dispute a call as long as you keep it civil.

[/ QUOTE ]

Arguing incorrect calls is standard because it's what dads do, but it can't be so cut and dry in a 10U league. This is like the first year that stealing is allowed. Expecting the catcher (who, at this age, is the worst and fattest player on the team) to have any shot at throwing the guy out, even on a clean pitch, is expecting too much imo.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think arguing this call is fine. If the kid's allowed to steal he's allowed to steal. In this case there are leagues where he would not be allowed to steal, so that's a seperate issue. But if the OP think the call was incorrect I'd expect him to argue it in a respectful manner.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:49 PM

Arguing the call is fine in my opinion as well. My only question was that it seems like stealing on a clean-caught ball 4 in most leagues is against the rules. If it isn't here, OP's actions were solid.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Both you and the other coach were disrespecting the game and being a terrible example to the children. Grow up and act like the role model you're supposed to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

As someone who has both coached at that age level and umpired for that age level, nothing about what happened seems terribly out of line to me. Arguing incorrect calls = standard, even at that level. Arguing with an ump in little leagues usually isn't the kind of stuff you see in the majors with kicking dirt and finger pointing and yelling and whatnot. Unless it escalated to that level, there's really nothing wrong with going out there to dispute a call as long as you keep it civil.

[/ QUOTE ]

Arguing incorrect calls is standard because it's what dads do, but it can't be so cut and dry in a 10U league. This is like the first year that stealing is allowed. Expecting the catcher (who, at this age, is the worst and fattest player on the team) to have any shot at throwing the guy out, even on a clean pitch, is expecting too much imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, uh, that's a reason you should steal. If the other team's catcher sucks, then you can steal on him. When my brother was playing at that age level, my Dad was coaching him and always made sure he had a good athlete behind the plate who could throw kids out. You are making a horrible argument as to why OP was a prick or not. He's completely entitled to be competitive and the kids, even at that age, are old enough to understand that it is a competition, even if it's fun for them.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:50 PM

Did the kids on your team switch the keys on your keyboard?
Old 07-13-2006, 12:50 PM

WDC,

Standard.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:51 PM

Read my above post. BTW, at this age, it's not "if" the other team's catcher sucks, come on. 95% of them do.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do <10 year olds normally play 2 hour games? That's kinda hardcore.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my little league, starting at the 9-10 age level, you had standard 7 inning games with the kids pitching the whole game and everything. Most games took 1:30-2:30 hours. Usually depended on the quality of the pitching. If the kids can get the ball over the plate consistently at that age level, they'll do fine since nobody can really hit yet.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:52 PM

Little league daddies are the best! WTG, OP!

PS--Your son will probably grow up to hate you. Get a grip. It's a 10 and under game.