Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2006, 02:17 PM

Default Re: QJs used to be one of my favorite hands

[ QUOTE ]
I totally don't understand the line between giving too much action and folding too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I think its mostly a strategy issue. If a guy is aggressive, you can take advantage of him by calling down your medium to strong hands. If a guy is passive you can take advantage of him by taking free cards on your draws.

If you had imaginary percentages next to your hand (like on TV) the call/fold decion would be easy, you'd just compare the pot oods to your winning odds and react accordingly. In reality you will not know the exact odds and you must guess and you must use your experience at reading players to estimate where you stand. This comes from playing a lot of poker and noticing patterns of the different playstyles (Rock, LAG, TAG etc). . . In this hand your Opponent probably has KQ or better, so you should fold after the flop action. (since with 3 outs you would need 14:1 to call)
Old 07-12-2006, 02:19 PM

hehe yah, my point was that we probably have 3 outs or less
Old 07-12-2006, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
float preflop is cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, there just aren't many people floating or at least posting hands inwhich they float in this forum. i call down when it's HU and mr. passive gets, well, unpassive.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow. I guess I should start posting more because I float quite a bit and maybe I am doing lots wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

hehehe - ditto here! I probably float a lot more than the average player here!
Old 07-12-2006, 02:41 PM

I don't like the preflop play. UTG's limp is meaningful as he's going to be limping with quite a few hands that dominate yours. Also, your relative position is a little awkward after the flop.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
float preflop is cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, there just aren't many people floating or at least posting hands inwhich they float in this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's probably because cold calling before the flop is usually a shitty play in limit hold 'em.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
float preflop is cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, there just aren't many people floating or at least posting hands inwhich they float in this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's probably because cold calling before the flop is usually a shitty play in limit hold 'em.

[/ QUOTE ]

usually being the key.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I totally don't understand the line between giving too much action and folding too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I think its mostly a strategy issue. If a guy is aggressive, you can take advantage of him by calling down your medium to strong hands. If a guy is passive you can take advantage of him by taking free cards on your draws.

If you had imaginary percentages next to your hand (like on TV) the call/fold decion would be easy, you'd just compare the pot oods to your winning odds and react accordingly. In reality you will not know the exact odds and you must guess and you must use your experience at reading players to estimate where you stand. This comes from playing a lot of poker and noticing patterns of the different playstyles (Rock, LAG, TAG etc). . . In this hand your Opponent probably has KQ or better, so you should fold after the flop action. (since with 3 outs you would need 14:1 to call)

[/ QUOTE ]
Good post. My statement was more of a rhetorical one though in that I am off lately and making weird reads too far in one direction or the other and thus bad decisions post-flop.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:15 AM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
float preflop is cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's probably because cold calling before the flop is almost always a shitty play in limit hold 'em.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp -
Old 07-13-2006, 12:43 AM

grunch:

if you have a good enough read that ENOUGH PEOPLE will call after you, then the limp is ok PF, but i dont' like it

this is WA/WB situation, and the flop is misplayed, you can't raise for equity and there is nothing to protect your hand against...
Old 07-13-2006, 02:15 AM

I think the 3-bet is okay on the flop. UTG is check/raising many hands you have beat. Once you are capped I don't think you can call the cap. Even if you hit a Q or J on the turn, you are too often facing a set.