Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: McCain
Yes 73 59.84%
No 45 36.89%
Other / Don't know / Who is that? 4 3.28%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2006, 09:09 PM

Default Re: Straight Pill

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what about a religon pill.

Who would administer a pill casusing a greater chance of belief in god?

who would administer a pill making belief in god less likely?

chez

[/ QUOTE ]
Fascinating question. I dont know if I would do either but it feels like I should.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think administering both are wrong and so is the gay pill. imo the test is whether or not its reasonable to believe that a person not giving the pill would wish they had been.

Its not reasonable to believe that:

Religous people wish they had been given an anti-religon pill. ditto non reliogous

Gay people wish they had been given an anti-gay pill (though they're probably fairly keen on anti-bigotry pill)

In contrast, it is reasonable to believe that deaf/dumb/blind etc etc people would wish to have been given treatment to prevent these conditions.

I wonder most about the anti-bigotry pill. Do bigots wish that they weren't, or do people like being bigots?

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you, and agree that this is the measuring stick that is sort of commonly accepted in ethical debates. I just want to hijack for a second to another point you made in this post. It is easy to say, from your perspective as a hearing person, that 'deaf people would certainly wish they had not been born deaf.' But imagine a child with two deaf parents and whose family friends are mostly deaf. Perhaps that child would wish to share in that? Obviously it seems bizarre and cruel to 'inflict' deafness on a child unnecessarily, but I don't know that it is always so cut-and-dry. Thats why in these cases, I usually would default to the parent to make such a decision. But then you have the same problem again, that parents certainly do not always act in the best interest of their children.

[/ QUOTE ]
Interesting example, I don't know - but its reasonable belief not certainty. You treat people who you reasonable believe would have wished to been treated if they hadn't been. As with all ethics that leaves many dillemas - some of which are insoluable.

imo a good person does their best, that's more important than being right. i.e. its better to do the thing they wouldn't have wished for believing its what they would have wished for then to do the thing they would have wished for believing its what they wouldn't have wanted.

chez
Old 07-10-2006, 09:24 PM

You realize how millitant deaf people are about any treatments to make people able to hear again? Multiply that by about 100 and you'll get the gay response.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:05 PM

The outlook that homosexuality is an 'illness' of any sort is laughable. Sexuality, like all behaviour, is learnt and I am highly skeptical that your genetics have anything to do with it. There is NOTHING wrong with men having sex with men.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe there should be another option on your second poll: different gays will voice different opinions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fixed that in a post immediately, but it got pushed to the bottom just as rapidly.

[ QUOTE ]

Tha being said, I believe that the pill should be allowed to exist, and it should be the right of the parent to decide whether or give it to their child (I assume that we're taking is for granted that the pill has no adverse side effects, yes?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the pill works perfectly.

So you're saying it's ethical for the pill to exist. So would you take the strong stance that it's unethical to withold it (from the market)? Do gays deserve the right to have a say in the matter? I mean, they have a whole culture of their own and they wouldn't want to see it destroyed. In a sense, it's almost like if there were a "white pill" that "cured" blackness. What would you think about that?
Old 07-11-2006, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think we need a truth pill. Would you take a pill that would reveal the truth to you? I guess yes, i sure would. Somehow the thought of administering it to someone else seems wrong - I think many would rather not know he truth - not at all sure though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think many people would choose to take the pill, and immediately regret it.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The outlook that homosexuality is an 'illness' of any sort is laughable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct

[ QUOTE ]
Sexuality, like all behaviour, is learnt

[/ QUOTE ]

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW is that wrong

[ QUOTE ]
and I am highly skeptical that your genetics have anything to do with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

also wrong

[ QUOTE ]
There is NOTHING wrong with men having sex with men.

[/ QUOTE ]

back to right
Old 07-11-2006, 02:41 AM

I wish they would perfect a gay pill. I’d really like to be gay for a day. I mean, I understand these guys get way more sex than I could ever hope to get. Gay guys seem to be super smart. If only I could be gay for one day.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wish they would perfect a gay pill. I’d really like to be gay for a day. I mean, I understand these guys get way more sex than I could ever hope to get. Gay guys seem to be super smart. If only I could be gay for one day.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're the dumbest human ever.

this whole topic is so [censored] disgusting it makes me sick. How is this any different that what Hitler tried to do?
Old 07-11-2006, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How is this any different that what Hitler tried to do?

[/ QUOTE ]
1. No one is being murdered
2. No one is being imprisoned
3. No one is being forced to work
4. No one is treated as a second class citizen as a result of their enjoyment of other men's buttholes.

He talking about a hypothetical pill which fixes the hypothetical defect responsible for homosexuality. It's not that different to treating an embryo for down syndrome or schizophrenia, except for the reasons I mentioned in an earlier post.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How is this any different that what Hitler tried to do?

[/ QUOTE ]
1. No one is being murdered
2. No one is being imprisoned
3. No one is being forced to work
4. No one is treated as a second class citizen as a result of their enjoyment of other men's buttholes.

He talking about a hypothetical pill which fixes the hypothetical defect responsible for homosexuality. It's not that different to treating an embryo for down syndrome or schizophrenia, except for the reasons I mentioned in an earlier post.

[/ QUOTE ]
Phil your still making up this 'defect' stuff. It's kind of expected from some religous types who think in terms of design but from someone who presumably doesn't think evolution is an evil conspiricy it's a bit silly.

Why not just admit you don't like people who are different to you?

chez