Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2006, 06:31 AM

Default Re: Where do the winnings come from?

go to most college campuses in the dorm hall and browse through past peoples doors and marvel at all the donators, not hard to find
Old 07-08-2006, 08:09 AM

my friend works at bodog poker, the amount of players who win consistently are very small and most who say they do are not goot
Old 07-10-2006, 11:22 AM

The money just funnels up. Poker at the low levels is VERY cheap entertainment for someone with a decent income. You can spend $100+ on a cheap dinner and movie, or play for 2 weeks at the micros as a significant loser.

The collector fish at the micro's do a good job of funnelling that money up to midstakes. Where it gets redistributed amongst the better players. They take underolled shots (only takes a small touch of variance)and end up giving the money to well bank-rolled players. So they go back to killing collector fish.

Very efficient system. The load is extremely light on the mass donators, with near perfect mechanisms for positively reinforcing continued play. As long as poker remains a good VALUE for entertainment the money will just keep flowing up, imho.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:06 PM

A very nice way to look at things!! I like this post..
Old 07-10-2006, 03:43 PM

After reading The Psychology of Poker I've come to understand that people play poker for many reasons. One of them is to make money, but there are many other motivations. The thrill of winning a pot. The social aspect of sitting at the table. Passing time. etc. etc.

Winning poker isn't always the most important thing to every person.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All the poker players I know (including myself) are consistently winning or just doing a lot better than breaking even.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your friends are lying to you.
When people say they are "breaking even" at poker, they are losing.
When people say they are "winning a little at poker," they are breaking even, or losing.
When people say they are "winning a lot at poker," they are breaking even, or losing.

When people don't tell you how they're doing at poker, then, and only then, they are winning, breaking even, or losing.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ummm...just look at your pokertracker database. You'll see plenty of losers!

Actually you do see people who are winners on this site, but you have to realize that the number of people on this site compared to the number who play the game is miniscule. We are just a tiny tiny fraction of those that make up the online poker world. I'm not saying all of those who don't participate here are losers and I'm not saying everyone here are winners, but you can't take a subset of 2+2ers and assume that is an accurate sample of the online poker playing world.

We are just more important. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guarantee that, even removing OOT from the equation, the majority of posters on 2+2 or losing players.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All the poker players I know (including myself) are consistently winning or just doing a lot better than breaking even.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. That and you're assuming a closed economy. New people are trying out online on the time, just as the tourists are constantly floating in and out of Vegas.

Your friends are lying to you.
When people say they are "breaking even" at poker, they are losing.
When people say they are "winning a little at poker," they are breaking even, or losing.
When people say they are "winning a lot at poker," they are breaking even, or losing.

When people don't tell you how they're doing at poker, then, and only then, they are winning, breaking even, or losing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-11-2006, 07:27 AM

mjws00 - excellent post. 100% correct.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ummm...just look at your pokertracker database. You'll see plenty of losers!

Actually you do see people who are winners on this site, but you have to realize that the number of people on this site compared to the number who play the game is miniscule. We are just a tiny tiny fraction of those that make up the online poker world. I'm not saying all of those who don't participate here are losers and I'm not saying everyone here are winners, but you can't take a subset of 2+2ers and assume that is an accurate sample of the online poker playing world.

We are just more important. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guarantee that, even removing OOT from the equation, the majority of posters on 2+2 or losing players.

[/ QUOTE ]

what about removing OOT, the Zoo, WPT, WSOP discussion, and BBV?

Barron