Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2006, 10:46 PM

Default Re: Kansas City BBQ - OOT Lead me to the promised land!

Texas is only a few hundred miles away.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:53 PM

[censored], I'm hungry now.

I spent two years at Mizzou and they started serving Gates' sauce at the food joint next to my dorm; that was good [censored].
Old 07-06-2006, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Texas

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
Old 07-06-2006, 11:38 PM

Page PJN if he isn't in Vegas.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:54 PM

Friends,

If you ever want to wine and dine a fine lady in Kansas City, take her to Macaluso's.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:55 PM

I think its funny how Texans think their BBQ can even compete with KC and Memphis, while everyone else in the world rolls their eyes.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think its funny how Texans think their BBQ can even compete with KC and Memphis, while everyone else in the world rolls their eyes.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't hate just because you're jealous. "Compete?" Hahaha. Good one.

Oh yeah, I thought Gates had a pretty tasty brisket sandwich when I was driving through KC.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Friends,

If you ever want to wine and dine a fine lady in Kansas City, take her to Macaluso's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definately in my regular date rotation - along with 40 Sardines, J Gilbert's, Le Frou Frog, Piropos in Parkville, and Boozefish. Occasionally the American Restaraunt.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:14 AM

To everyone who's mentioned Strouds on Troost - too late, it was bulldosed a couple of weeks ago to make room for street improvements. I think there is still one up north though.

LC's is my favorite for ribs. Gates has great sauce, but the meat quality can be hit or miss.

There's alway's KC Masterpiece...(kidding).
Old 07-07-2006, 12:21 AM

Closing of Strouds

[ QUOTE ]
The Kansas City Star

If you have a vacant old roadhouse under a bridge, call Stroud’s.

For decades, Stroud’s restaurant has been famous for its crispy fried chicken — and for its buckled building in the shadows of a Troost Avenue bridge. But while Stroud’s will continue to operate at 1015 E. 85th St. for the next few months, it must find a new home by the end of the year.

The city wants to replace the bridge and widen Troost at 85th Street. Also, 85th Street would be widened to four lanes from Holmes Road to Tracy Avenue.

“Stroud’s just happens to fall in a bad location,” said Jennifer Berry, project coordinator for Jackson County Public Works, which is managing the project for the city. “To widen the road, it takes half of their building.”

The city and Stroud’s owner Mike Donegan have agreed to a financial settlement for the property.

“I’m not crazy about it, but I don’t have a choice, and I wasn’t raised to be a whiner so I’m not going to do it,” Donegan said. “I’d like to move it, but I don’t know if that’s feasible.”

Donegan is decidedly against strip centers and longs for another old roadhouse under a viaduct.

Even founder Helen Stroud called Stroud’s a “shack” when she opened her barbecue restaurant on the southwest corner of 85th and Holmes Road in 1933. The location, on the outskirts of the city, sold ribs for 15 cents, sardines for a dime and draft beer for a nickel. But one Fourth of July, the cook bought some fryers — three for a dollar.

Chicken sold out that night and has been on the menu since, with every piece pan-fried to order and served directly from old iron skillets.

By 1972 Stroud was tired of the long hours and six-day weeks, so she sold the operation. A few years later, Donegan and a partner bought the restaurant and have since expanded three times. Donegan, who later bought out his partner, also owns Stroud’s North at 5410 N.E. Oak Ridge Drive.

The 2005 edition of Zagat Survey’s America’s Top Restaurants noted Stroud’s “legendary fried chicken” and warped yet homey setting, which was also called a “wonderful dump.” Martha Stewart Living magazine listed it as a “must-try road-trip destination” in the November 2002 issue. Stroud’s also won a 1998 James Beard Award for regional classic cuisine.

Parking is at such a premium that customers often walk along the edge of bustling two-lane 85th Street to reach the front door. On weekends, they pack the bar as they wait up to two hours for crispy fried chicken, cream pan gravy and cinnamon rolls, served family style.

Stroud’s — with a slogan of “We choke our own chickens” — serves nearly 12,000 pounds of chicken a week.

“Going to Stroud’s and not-so-daintily ravaging a fried chicken is an exercise in tradition. Where will we waddle to now?” said longtime customer Pat O’Neill of Kansas City.

Paul Sepe, an out-of-town fan, agreed.

“It’s modest and simple, but all the cars parked in front and down the street and under the viaduct tell you it’s someplace special,” said Sepe, who often makes road trips from his New Hampshire home to eat at Stroud’s and other favorites.

“I love the crooked windows and the wooden floors polished from decades of use — and maybe ambient grease. It (a move) will be OK as long as they bring their skillets and grease, but it won’t be quite the same.”

[/ QUOTE ]