Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2006, 10:01 PM

Default Re: $400/800 HU turn

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes it seems like you play poetry, not poker. which is really cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

ysscky
Old 07-07-2006, 06:16 AM

Location: just a skinny azzzed short stacking gossip hurling trouble maker

When you checkraise twice here he puts you on 2 types of hands

Ones like the one you have now (AJ, AQ, KJ, KQ, ect.)
or
Nuts (A9,T9, T8, 98, 88-TT, QJ)

it's sort of TOP from there, but checkraising 2 streets on this board needs to be somewhat random so he can't figure out which of those ranges you have

If you checkraise and he 3 bets it totally blows though
Old 07-07-2006, 07:53 PM

Hi Schneids,

I wouldn't raise from the SB w/ AJ in this spot, even if UTG+1 is terrible. It's unlikely to get the pot headsup and just builds a bigger pot when you're out of position, and you may just get repopped if UTG+1 is somewhat sly, which most people playing 4/8 are.

I would bet this flop out and let the players yet to act deal with you. Jam the flop if you get two callers. I don't like the check-raise here either. You might as well get SrFlush to pop you on the flop so you can play headsup in a big pot. YOu can either then 3-bet or call. I like three betting here, though.

A turn checkraise is a bad idea against a good player. I like check-calling as you played it, because he's calling down with 66, AQ, or about anything. This pot is gigantic, so I don't think you can fold on any river cards, though I wouldn't like it if I didn't improve. This all follows from raising preflop.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:58 PM

I think CRing this flop for a free card on the turn is pretty cool. I don't think you're going to run him off a better hand though.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:32 PM

yss stop using cop-out forum cliches. . . .
Old 07-08-2006, 04:45 AM

Why check/raise the flop? There's few hands he can fold here and if you think he's got a small pair even AFTER he called your flop c/r, then this makes the turn more problamatic for you than check/calling would.

Check/calling the flop doesn't HAVE to be a weak play. In fact, it can show strength. You still retain bluffing opportunities on the turn or (more likely) the river if he checks the turn behind you. Otherwise, you're beat anyway. I don't like the flop check/raise here.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What stopped you from betting the turn? I guess if he has 66 two c/r's is more likely to get him to laydown than one and a turn lead??

[/ QUOTE ]

I played multiple hands with unorthodox styles vs him specifically and I checked mainly hoping he would check behind with a better hand, fearing a c/r.

I can also see 55 or something bet/folding this turn.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't raise from the SB w/ AJ in this spot, even if UTG+1 is terrible. It's unlikely to get the pot headsup and just builds a bigger pot when you're out of position, and you may just get repopped if UTG+1 is somewhat sly, which most people playing 4/8 are.

[/ QUOTE ]

If SenorFlush wants to call my raise with T6o that's fine with me. If people want to repop me with a worse hand, that's fine. If you want to keep the pot small, fine, but I think the reasons for raising AJ are better than for just completing when there's only one limper. And the limper, although capable of being crazy, wasn't in a crazy mood -- just take my word for that one.

[ QUOTE ]
I would bet this flop out and let the players yet to act deal with you. Jam the flop if you get two callers. I don't like the check-raise here either. You might as well get SrFlush to pop you on the flop so you can play headsup in a big pot. YOu can either then 3-bet or call. I like three betting here, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

The limper folded to the 3-bet PF, it's already HU.

[ QUOTE ]
A turn checkraise is a bad idea against a good player. I like check-calling as you played it, because he's calling down with 66, AQ, or about anything. This pot is gigantic, so I don't think you can fold on any river cards, though I wouldn't like it if I didn't improve. This all follows from raising preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

If a good player was in the BB and 3-bet PF with 55 or 66, and then was faced with this action on the turn, would they bet/fold it or bet/call?
Old 07-08-2006, 08:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really see why you are putting him on a small pocket pair. All he could have is 66, 55, and maybe 44. I haven't played with SenorFlush (unless he is the same as the 30/60 player "SenorPasta"), but the majority of TAGs in the mid-limit games I play would just call in the BB with all 3 of those hands because limpers so rarely fold for 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

SenorPasta is a well-known Svensk player.

This limper had already limped once and folded to a 3-bet PF. SenorFlush is very aware of that and I think he would 3-bet to try to get it HU with those hands. Especially after his comment about how he'd have just checked if I didn't raise -- I felt like at the time it was genuine honesty from him.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Online, this guy won't ever fold a piece of that board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree 120%. I wouldn't try it because he's 3bet the turn 3 ways and check called the river with AK high before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it possible that we shouldn't try and make a play at this pot at all? No flop check-raise, no turn check-raise, no weird donkbets anywhere? That was my first instinct when reading the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. Except that's how I play this hand almost always. And if I almost always play this hand this way, then I'm pretty exploitable.