Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2006, 11:44 AM

Default Re: End of Iraq war in sight

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to be obtuse, but I don't have a clue who Don Bartlett is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bartlett = former staffer at Karl Rove & Company political consulting firm, former communication staffer in then Texas Governor Bush's administration, former Communications Director for then candidate Bush's 2000 Presidential campaign, former deputy to Karen Hughes during Bush's first term, then became the White House Communications Director at the end of the first term before entering his current role at the beginning of the second term as the somewhat ambiguous "Counselor to the President."

Ostensibly, he's responsible for all aspects of President Bush's strategic communications planning. Colloquially, we might refer to this as position". "One of the Head Spinners", or "Guy in charge of message when Rove is on vacation". I think 'spin' sounds too negative -- plus it makes guys like Rove and Bartlett sound like ordinary, inept hucksters or something, when in fact they're just really [censored] good at what they do.

To give some credence to how important these guys are, much of the inside-the-Beltway/insider-GOP blame for the Bush Admin. PR bungling of the post-Katrina aftermath is that the current White House Communications Director, Nicole Devenish, was getting married in Greece at the beginning of September 2005 (immediately after Katrina), meaning Rove/Bartlett/Devenish/et al were in Greece celebrating the wedding while the B-team message guys were running the show in Washington.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
not to mention the masses of rollingly-hungry Hollyword celebs.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, gotta admit I got a laugh out of this.

But, as easy a target as lib celebs are, I still admire Sheehan for trying to honor the memory of her dead son the way SHE thinks it should be honored, not by towing the company line about how "he died for a cause he believed in."

I like how Springsteen changed the words around to the old Irish anti-war song:

"All foreign wars, I do proclaim
live on blood and a mother's pain.
I'd rather have my son as he used to be
Than the King of America and his whole navy"

[/ QUOTE ]

Springsteen hasnt been relevant since Born to Run
Old 07-06-2006, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to be obtuse, but I don't have a clue who Don Bartlett is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bartlett = former staffer at Karl Rove & Company political consulting firm, former communication staffer in then Texas Governor Bush's administration, former Communications Director for then candidate Bush's 2000 Presidential campaign, former deputy to Karen Hughes during Bush's first term, then became the White House Communications Director at the end of the first term before entering his current role at the beginning of the second term as the somewhat ambiguous "Counselor to the President."

Ostensibly, he's responsible for all aspects of President Bush's strategic communications planning. Colloquially, we might refer to this as position". "One of the Head Spinners", or "Guy in charge of message when Rove is on vacation". I think 'spin' sounds too negative -- plus it makes guys like Rove and Bartlett sound like ordinary, inept hucksters or something, when in fact they're just really [censored] good at what they do.

To give some credence to how important these guys are, much of the inside-the-Beltway/insider-GOP blame for the Bush Admin. PR bungling of the post-Katrina aftermath is that the current White House Communications Director, Nicole Devenish, was getting married in Greece at the beginning of September 2005 (immediately after Katrina), meaning Rove/Bartlett/Devenish/et al were in Greece celebrating the wedding while the B-team message guys were running the show in Washington.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for clearing that up!! I was confused with the King of Curling: http://www.donbartlettclassic.com/
Old 07-06-2006, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My premise is that my intelligence is insulted by dabbling, babbling lightweights like Susan Saradon I am equally insulted by such people on the right who presume to know more about the real world than I do, and assume that we poor ignorant masses need their enlightened leadership. I am equally insulted by such people on the right, but the left seems to have more than its fair share of these nitwits.

My premise is that idiots like Sean Penn and his pointless prewar tour of Iraq take away from the seriousness of the situation and reinforce the knee-jerk support for the war and the President by the equally mindless partisans on the right. There are people who do assume that if Sean Penn takes a position, it must be the wrong one.

[ QUOTE ]
the actions they are taking to stop it?

[/ QUOTE ]

The nanotechnology hasn't been invented capable of measuring the impact of these clowns on stopping the war.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop. I'm sure you are just as disgusted at Bruce Willis, who had been up until the very recent past a very outspoken supporter of the Iraq War. I'm sure that you found the mothers of dead soldiers who still supported the war to be shrill attention whores, too.

You can't have your cake and eat it, too. There was literally nothing in your OP that would lead any discerning reader to think you were making a statement about celebrity intervention in politics; you were bashing people who don't support the war.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

My premise is that my intelligence is insulted by dabbling, babbling lightweights like Susan Saradon I am equally insulted by such people on the right who presume to know more about the real world than I do, and assume that we poor ignorant masses need their enlightened leadership. I am equally insulted by such people on the right, but the left seems to have more than its fair share of these nitwits.

My premise is that idiots like Sean Penn and his pointless prewar tour of Iraq take away from the seriousness of the situation and reinforce the knee-jerk support for the war and the President by the equally mindless partisans on the right. There are people who do assume that if Sean Penn takes a position, it must be the wrong one.

[ QUOTE ]
the actions they are taking to stop it?

[/ QUOTE ]

The nanotechnology hasn't been invented capable of measuring the impact of these clowns on stopping the war.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop. I'm sure you are just as disgusted at Bruce Willis, who had been up until the very recent past a very outspoken supporter of the Iraq War. I'm sure that you found the mothers of dead soldiers who still supported the war to be shrill attention whores, too.

You can't have your cake and eat it, too. There was literally nothing in your OP that would lead any discerning reader to think you were making a statement about celebrity intervention in politics; you were bashing people who don't support the war.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? The post was clearly about Sarandon Penn Glover Walker and Nelson lending their celebrity to the "rolling fast". How do you extend that to anyone who doesnt support the war? Discerning != unjustified inference
Old 07-06-2006, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There was literally nothing in your OP that would lead any discerning reader to think you were making a statement about celebrity intervention in politics

[/ QUOTE ]

My words from my OP:

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how W. could live with himself, knowing that Penn and Saradon would actually be going 24 hours without solid food. Oh, the humanity!

[/ QUOTE ]

If that was too subtle for you, then you are "literally" not qualified to speak for "any discerning reader". [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
you were bashing people who don't support the war.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was bashing 2nd rate celebs who are in over their heads. Later in this thread, I bashed right-wingers who mindlessly support the war, either because "W" says they should or because Penn & Co. say they shouldn't. I am an equal-opportunity basher.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in fact they're just really [censored] good at what they do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they are good at what they do. It's a damn shame the same can't be said of anybody in the Bush administration who is responsible for actualoy making policy or planning the details of how that policy is carried out.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There was literally nothing in your OP that would lead any discerning reader to think you were making a non-partisan statement about celebrity intervention in politics

[/ QUOTE ]

My words from my OP:

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how W. could live with himself, knowing that Penn and Saradon would actually be going 24 hours without solid food. Oh, the humanity!

[/ QUOTE ]

If that was too subtle for you, then you are "literally" not qualified to speak for "any discerning reader". [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
FMP

Come on, was it really necessary that I do that? You knew what I was referring to. Don't claim that your OP was a fair-and-balanced bashing of celebrities and their causes. It was a bashing of liberal celebs for supporting this cause.