Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2006, 11:31 AM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.
Default Re: New $5 drop at Bay 101... please stab me.

correct me if im wrong, but didnt the rake at that level come out to ~3 dollars a hand about 12 months ago? almost doubling your rake in such a quick span when youre always filled with customers and obviously making an asston of money really isnt going to encourage me to drive to san jose to play poker.

rj
Old 07-12-2006, 06:53 PM

Yeah, that is high... what are they charging for lower stakes, say 6/12?

Would you (or any of you other posters) drive an hour to a 20/40 game that only had a $3.00 rake/hand?
Old 07-12-2006, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
correct me if im wrong, but didnt the rake at that level come out to ~3 dollars a hand about 12 months ago?

[/ QUOTE ]

The change from $3 off the button to a $4 rake was probably two and a half years ago in the lower limit games (though it seems much more recent).

Other comments: I don't think its correct to conclude that Bay Area players aren't price sensitive. This change would definitley keep me out of Bay 101. My visits there dropped when they went to the $4 collection.

What Ray Zee is saying is very true. Not only do the shorthanded games get very tough to beat with that rake but the rake also creates more short handed situations. when players aren't incented to stay at a table due to time collection the collective time away from the table spikes and has a cascading effect.

$5 is a very greedy collection.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:40 AM

On the weekends it's a two hour wait to get a spread limit seat. Management isn't worried about killing the goose yet.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:13 AM

the rake changed from posting on the dealer button to 4 dollar drop in the low stakes games approximately 1 year ago.

bay 101 and GC feed off of people who dont care / dont realize how badly they are getting raped
Old 08-24-2006, 02:15 AM

I think most of them realize, and some care, but what's the alternative? Burn 80 miles worth of gas and 2 or 3 hours of your life driving to Lucky Chances? Not play at all? Driving to Tahoe or flying to Vegas? As much as I dislike governmental regulation, if they're going to limit how many cardrooms (and even tables) can do business, they need to regulate what those near-monopolies can charge us.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. If you poor poor California residents get tired of having to drive an hour to find a reasonable rake, you can always move to the East Coast where you have to drive a legal game at all. (Aside from $1-2 NL, though, it is pretty reasonably raked.)

But it's all relative -- I could be in somewhere like Charlotte and be many states away from the nearest cardroom.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:53 AM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

[ QUOTE ]
Other comments: I don't think its correct to conclude that Bay Area players aren't price sensitive. This change would definitley keep me out of Bay 101. My visits there dropped when they went to the $4 collection.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep. my sentiments exactly. my visits will now be almost nonexistant.

rj
Old 08-25-2006, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that is high... what are they charging for lower stakes, say 6/12?

Would you (or any of you other posters) drive an hour to a 20/40 game that only had a $3.00 rake/hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm pretty much equidistant from everywhere. AJ's, the Oaks, Bay 101 are all within 35 minutes from me. To answer your question, I wouldn't drive an extra hour to save $1-2 in rake. I'd just sit on my ass and play poker at home. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The thing that really irks me about this is that other than the Oaks having 30/60 2x a week, Bay 101 has the only upper midlimit games in Norcal, AFAIK.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
correct me if im wrong, but didnt the rake at that level come out to ~3 dollars a hand about 12 months ago? almost doubling your rake in such a quick span when youre always filled with customers and obviously making an asston of money really isnt going to encourage me to drive to san jose to play poker.

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

20/40 was $3 on the button, then $7/hh for a while. So yeah, the rake's increased 66% in 18 months.