Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2006, 03:37 PM

Default Re: Ed Miller Resigned?

Microbob is currently doing a sterling job trying to keep the rudeness to a minimum in the forum forum over this.

I just wanted to publicly thank him for the work he's currently doing there.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:38 PM

Ed is going to help transition the magazine to someone else (don't know who yet). We're back to square one with new design.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd prefer no moderator mention this on the forums. I leave that to Ed or Mason. Of course it seems inevitable that a random poster will bring it up, but again I'd prefer that be addressed by Ed or Mason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mat, it's in the forum forum already, and has been a while.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:40 PM

There are threads in at least ATF and OOT...
Old 07-05-2006, 03:42 PM

"At this point it would probably be a good idea if someone who knew the complete history of what happened with Elaine would explain it here."

Elaine posts on 2p2 as OtisTheMaruspial. Mostly pops in in law related threads and speaks from his/her experience as a law student. Generally disliked because of the vigor with which they support position contrary to most of 2p2 and trollish style.

At some point, I forget exactly why, astroglide outs Otis as Elaine. Much bruhaha ensuses and she's pretty livid with astro.

Elaine continues to post in OOT, often disagreeing with the masses and on occasion being slightly trollish. A lot of posters (for instance, Tony P) take an extreme dislike to her. Lots of discussion takes place as to if she's trolling, if she'd be banned if she wasn't Ed's wife, etc.

Eventually [censored], as part of his "mass culling" solicits nominations for this mass culling, basically bad oot posters that need a ban/exile. Elaine makes this list, and then in the voting stages she was far and away the leader. (note, I personally think this sucks as she's way better than a lot of oot posters).

In the end, [censored] exiles Elaine from OOT, she gets upset, makes "goodbye" post in About The Forums. Then this note shows up on her blog today I guess.

Given her approach to the forums, Elaine leaving is probably the best personal choice for her. I regret that the culture of OOT is such that I think most of the heat she caught was for daring to be a feminist in a male dominated forum.

The sad thing about Ed leaving is that as somebody who started out as a poster, I think he's got an unique and important insight into how to improve the forums. I think Mat does a great job, but the one area that's missing is that he'd made a choice not to involve himself in the forums directly, and I'm not sure how much of a feeling he has for the established culture. Hopefully that's where us mods can come in and help a bit.

WRT to the anti-[censored] ideas in this thread. IMO, [censored] 's actions are often corrent. It's more his tone/bedside manner that gets people so upset. OOT requires super aggressive moderation, but it also requires a mod who doesn't seem so confrontational/defensive and doesn't outwardly relish in the "dance monkeys dance" aspect of moderation. If [censored] is able to tone down some of that stuff, I think his day to day moderation works very well. Where I think it gets muddled is that his methods have set the standard for other OOT mods to behave in more arbitrary fashion, and those are the kinds of things that really create a mod vs. poster grudge match (or Mod Wars! for that matter).
Old 07-05-2006, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are threads in at least ATF and OOT...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah they need to be moved / locked / mods posts deleted etc if you don't want it out.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:43 PM

I like microbob's handling of these threads. They should all be moved to his forum. Istill prefer that moderators steer away from participating in this particular discussion.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like microbob's handling of these threads. They should all be moved to his forum. Istill prefer that moderators steer away from participating in this particular discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've stopped and you are welcome to remove my posts. I responded before seeing your post about it here.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm happy to oblige by remaining completely silent on the matter. But the news is out, and speculation will snowball if left unchecked. I just want to make sure this is understood.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:00 PM

I just want it corraled by Microbob in his forum for awhile. Eventually Mason can be led there to make an official statement. One thing is clear: Elaine was never going to be happy with OOT. If her unhappiness made Ed leave, it was inevitable.

On the other hand, I believe it was inevitable anyway. Ed all of a sudden has a lot of money, as Elaine said. Given that, very few people would feel motivated to continue here if it wasn't super enjoyable, and I never got the impression that his work here on the forums could be described that way.

This is how I see it, but I won't post it publicly. Mason or Ed should be the one.