Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2006, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Negreanu borrows $100,000 in HSP

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Dude, you're reading wayyyy too much into things.

Jennifer Tilley is hovering around Phil because they live together (more importantly, she probably wants free face-time). I doubt any of the money he's playing with is hers. Besides, he was up $200K and was leaving, so he wasn't lending Jennifer's money.

If you read BarryG's site, you'll see that he often lends/borrows from Mimi Tran (or at least used to).

So Laak busted his $100K cherry. Big deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

How come the other players don't have their lovers standing behind them looking very concerned everytime they are in a hand? Barry G had a relationship with Mimi Tran, the same way Tilley and Laak have a relationship that is why I think she is staking him. Academy award winners don't need face time on a third rate cable channel.

Regarding the other posters comments about Negreanu's lower buy in this year, as long as you have everyone covered, what differance does it make how much you buy in for? If Negreanu is so loaded and thinks its cool to sit down with $1 million why didn't he do it again? I will give you three guesses.

[/ QUOTE ]

freekobe was right.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:28 PM

Location: tell them ill be here when they come 4 me, me and every single n1gga dat got love 4 me, see i got money on my mind, but the haters wont leave me alone, so im ridin everyday wit every pistol dat i own

Ok from what i have read lending money is pretty common for the big game players.
barry g actually got custom oversized chips from "blue chip" with players picture and name on them so they know who owes money to who.

and he didnt buyin for a million this year because veryone bought in for the minimum this year and he prolly didnt think it was worth it

and why do you keep mentioning gus hansen? he had a bad run in the big game but he has recovered and still plays in the game
Old 07-05-2006, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok from what i have read lending money is pretty common for the big game players.
barry g actually got custom oversized chips from "blue chip" with players picture and name on them so they know who owes money to who.

and he didnt buyin for a million this year because veryone bought in for the minimum this year and he prolly didnt think it was worth it

and why do you keep mentioning gus hansen? he had a bad run in the big game but he has recovered and still plays in the game

[/ QUOTE ]

I had heard he left the country after the WSOP last year and had to give Doyle a stake in his online venture to repay a loan. I don't know this to be true, I just heard it from a couple of sources. I didn't see him entered in any WPT events after that either. I saw he was back at Bellagio this past weekened so he is no doubt back on his feet.

If these guys bank rolls were as deep as people thought they would not be leaving the country. When you run out of money because you were on a bad run it means you were playing over your bank roll. He is not the only one.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had heard he left the country after the WSOP last year and had to give Doyle a stake in his online venture to repay a loan. I don't know this to be true, I just heard it from a couple of sources. I didn't see him entered in any WPT events after that either. I saw he was back at Bellagio this past weekened so he is no doubt back on his feet.

If these guys bank rolls were as deep as people thought they would not be leaving the country. When you run out of money because you were on a bad run it means you were playing over your bank roll. He is not the only one.

[/ QUOTE ]

There you go making assumptions for about the fifteenth time in this thread. How do you presume to KNOW why Gus Hansen left the country?
Old 07-05-2006, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There you go making assumptions for about the fifteenth time in this thread. How do you presume to KNOW why Gus Hansen left the country?

[/ QUOTE ]

As I plainly stated, I don't know. I heard from seperate sources, both good, the same story. It could reasonably just be a rumor. I still believe many high stakes players are playing way over their bank roll, I do not persume to know which ones. Obviously the big names seem to have lots of outside income (like Negreanu) so it is not likely to be them, but you never really know - do you?
Old 07-05-2006, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard this, I heard that...STFU
I heard that all the HSP are really bad except for Mike Matsow.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was Venetian, not Bellagio this past weekend. He was playing in the big game 4K/8K Seven Card Stud along with Doyle, Barry, Chip Reese, Phil Ivey, Larry Flynt, and a couple others almost all night on Saturday, July 1st. Saw it first hand.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:28 PM

Jerry Buss has more money than any of these guys and he borrowed from Daniel last season.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So they're on the honor system. Big deal. 100k isn't going to break Laak or DN.

[/ QUOTE ]

Years before poker became "The Thing" it was relatively well known that the big players will loan each other mortgage-size money regularly with nothing but a handshake (sometimes not even that much). If you got branded a stiff, you were on the outs.

I'm sure today with all the new blood running around it's even harder to break into that circle, but I read numerous times that some of the most trustworthy people you could find, generally speaking, were the highest of the high limit poker players.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem with the loose system of loans is there is downside with no real upside. What if you loan someone money and they suddenly die before you get paid back? There is no signed note and many cases their may not even be witnesses. Plus, sometimes a guy will get paid back but it may take much longer and their doesn't seem to be any compensation for the time value of money. Gus Hansen?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can afford to loan someone $100,000 like that then you aren't concerned that he won't pay. Even if he keeled over at the table at the very least you'd have a great story to tell for the rest of your days and you'd probably make it back over time in comps and freebies.