Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2006, 12:28 AM

Default Re: Miscellaneous Life Skills

OP,

Maybe this counts in the mechanics department or something like that, but he specifically needs to learn how to swing a hammer.

Also, now that you have a pretty big list compiled, how do you instill this stuff into the kid? Sometimes parents can over do it with these kinds of things. If my parents had signed me up for dance, theater, and music lessons, and every weekend I was getting dragged into some project to improve my "skills", I probably would start to hate all that crap.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I may be showing my age, and this may be subsumed by #10, but he should learn to sharpen with both a stone and a steel.

He should be able to carve a turkey.

He should be able to dance.

I think my favorite is chopstick's #16 Critical thinking / Problem solving skills

He should learn to question everything.

And, lest we forget the overly mundane, he should learn to change a flat tire.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will second knowing how to carve a turkey. It is not a hard skill to learn and makes you look good when no one else can do it. I would also suggest being able to do some basic sewing and the ability to cook one real good meal.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:15 AM

You forgot dancing.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:05 AM

I'll add one: Fishing (preferably fly-fishing).

There are many reasons for this; some covered under the shotgun, pistol, and rifle slot, but there is more to it than that.

It teaches thinking skills, attention to detail, ecological acumen, acute observation, patience, general outdoor skills, and the keen awareness that life is inherently unfair, one of the best things to learn when young.

-Zeno
Old 07-06-2006, 06:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Telling children not to touch guns is about as effective as the "Just Say No" campgain for drugs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said! Guns should be banned entirely in a "civil" society.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OP,

Maybe this counts in the mechanics department or something like that, but he specifically needs to learn how to swing a hammer.

Also, now that you have a pretty big list compiled, how do you instill this stuff into the kid? Sometimes parents can over do it with these kinds of things. If my parents had signed me up for dance, theater, and music lessons, and every weekend I was getting dragged into some project to improve my "skills", I probably would start to hate all that crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question. I want to expose him to a bunch of stuff and see what sticks. Like music for instance. I have no skill or ability in that, but we will arrange some piano lessons at some point. I won't be a lunatic with forcing him to continue something for years that he hates tho. I don't know exactly where the line is. You don't want to have them quit something at the first sign of difficulty or first whining, but you don't want to force them to do things and don't want to schedule every minute of their lives. The kids with too many activities are sort of sad to see. Some of the skills don't require constant lessons and would probably be fun. Like the driving skills. The kid is going to learn to drive and will be highly motivated to learn. So why not schedule a good class then. Piano I dunno. Dancing I dunno.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe music and cards haven't made it on the list yet. Public speaking is important as well, have him do some theater or something to build self confidence in front of people. Personally, I always wished I could dance better...

[/ QUOTE ]

Cards, no big deal IMO. Public speaking is a good one. Both his mother and I did that one, so I guess I took that one for granted. Dancing we'll see. We took a ballroom dance class once and let's just say dad struggled.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:24 AM

Interesting question and a lot of really good interesting answers!

I also believe knowing how to handle guns of any kind SAFELY and to shoot them all reasonably well is an important skill. I would add archery and hunting skills to this as well.

Fishing of all kinds should be on any list of this sort! I would add being able to also clean what you catch well and cook it.

Basic fix-it skills is great too. I wish I had better fix-it skills myself.

Cooking skill is a must! I would add cooking outdoors.

Swimming! When I was younger I thought everyone knew how to swim. When I mived to WI and them Montana I have met more people who do not know how to swim than I would ever have thought possible.

Building a fire is a skill I think everyone should have. Not just the rubbing two sticks together thing but how to get a fire going and keep it going without lighter fluid or gas.

The value of money is something I am constantly trying to get through my kids heads! I see too many people who have too much of a sense of entitlement.

This is going to sound funny but the ability to slow down, relax and enjoy little things. So many people are in such a hurry that they never take the time to stop, for even a moment, and enjoy something like the sound of running water and birds singing, like a beautiful sunset, like the wonder of a clear night and a sky filled with stars or a really good piece of music.

I also think good thinking skills or being able to use good common sense is a life skill many do not have.

Respect for other people.

I would also add how to NOT get pregnant or get someone else pregnant (Also avoiding STD's) and why it is important to avoid having kids until the time is right.

**Note**
Yes, I am a gun nut. If you do not like guns, please do not try to convince me that guns are not needed or any of that. If you do not want to use guns or have guns that is your right and this post is not intended to try and convince anyone of anything along those lines. I am quite sure I will not change your mind and I assure you that you will not change mine
Old 07-06-2006, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
5. Pistol.

6. Shotgun.

7. Rifle.

[/ QUOTE ]

really? I need to know all 3? I'm pretty sure I've never even seen a gun, save for on a policeman or in a store.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think all three are good, sometimes for different reasons. Being able to handle any of them safely is good for safety's sake IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

probably not as safe as not picking them up in the first place

[/ QUOTE ]

I would strongly disagree with this. Knowing how properly handle a firearm is a skill everyone especially children should know. Learning how to properly handle a firearm would save many parents a lot of heartache. Telling children not to touch guns is about as effective as the "Just Say No" campgain for drugs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this too. I have never handled a gun of any kind but would like to learn. Not that I ever see myself owning one-I just think its one of those things you should know.
I this even more an issue if there are guns in the house-kids should learn about them when its appropriate for their age. For those`with guns, when is an appropriate age to teach kids? Just curious.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Telling children not to touch guns is about as effective as the "Just Say No" campgain for drugs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said! Guns should be banned entirely in a "civil" society.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me know when you find one.