Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2006, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Found this PM; maybe it is useful? (preflop play)

Edge,

Thanks a ton bro, we really apreciate you stopping by. Please try to more often!
Old 06-27-2006, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever thought that your style might someday hold you back from bigger games though? Like 50/100?

[/ QUOTE ]

I play 25/50 full ring fairly often, and I am doing extremely well (luckboxing). When I'm paying attention to a specific table, I play a little bit looser and make more moves preflop in position. I expect that playing tight in high-stakes games would actually work better than in lower-stakes games; the high-stakes games are very aggressive and tricky preflop, and I could wait for a good hand and capitalize on frequent light reraises. I haven't tried 6-max above 10/20 though.

The whole thing about TAG vs LAG is overblown on 2+2. The words themselves have little meaning anymore, and effectively mean "tight" and "loose". Personally, I have little trouble with sam and bld, but B Buddy is a very good loose player who forces a lot of difficult decisions on me. A good loose player will play more hands with the weaker players, so that's a plus for his winrate. However, he'll also be playing hands against other good players with a weaker range than a tight player. That's a minus for his winrate. All in all, there isn't really a big advantage to playing loose. The best 10/20 player, loloTRICKEDu, plays a tight 21/14 style, but he makes lots of moves preflop. Although it's cool to play loose as far as 2+2 is concerned, I can't be bothered to go through the variance that comes along with it. I play 8/9 tables of 6-max comfortably with my style (since I'm folding most of the time), and rarely time out.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:52 PM

Edge,

tx for the thread. Mucho appreciated.

--aj
Old 06-28-2006, 12:09 AM

Location: I\'m going to have a really long and curious location so that people will have to click on my name to see how it concludes. To anyone reading this- OWNED!

Edge,

we should call samo down here. Man do I wish that guy would make a video...
Old 06-28-2006, 06:09 AM

Thanks heaps for this edge.

The big thing that it made me realise is that I should be playing hands that I am comfortable playing and not trying to play hands I have read should be played.

I have just moved to 6 max from full ring and was playing way too loose for my comfort zone and my winrate was suffering (positive, but barely - which is bad at 50NL).

Once my comfort level rises at six max I can loosen up perhaps.

Thanks again
Old 06-28-2006, 09:35 AM

I really like your post. Respect!
Old 06-28-2006, 09:46 AM

Excellent post Edge and very timely for me personally.

You alluded to playing pairs for set value but made it sound like that was a thing of the past. Are you raising all pocket pairs now when opening?
Old 06-28-2006, 09:59 PM

Wow. This board moves really quickly.

I rarely call a raise out of position with a small pair looking to spike a set if I think the pot is going to be heads-up. It doesn't work out to be profitable for me; this can be determined just by looking at raising ranges and what hands are needed to pay off on different boards and so on. Same goes with openlimping small pairs. I find that it's profitable for me to openraise any hand I want to play and c-bet 95% of the time. Again, this is something that comes about through experimentation. I know some very good players that openlimp and also incorporate the limp-reraise, which I never use at 6-max. Just personal preference again.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:03 PM

Edge,

i'm really intuiged to know about cbetting as you move up. I mean, at the higher levels, surely every1 knows that every1 cbets. And as a result, surely it become almost +EV to just C/R or raise any cbet on any flop?

Do players just regularly let the pot get taken by cbets, or do they play back often? Is there a rediculous amount of floating of cbets?
Old 06-28-2006, 10:26 PM

Flop play turns into a bizarre game of rock/paper/scissors a lot of the time simply because one can rely on the raiser to c-bet close to 100% of the time. The problem with checkraising or raising every c-bet is that, contrary to what is said in TOP, the raiser tends to have a stronger starting hand than the caller. This is because a strong starter facing a raise will often result in a reraise, so a call shows some weakness. This allows the raiser to push over top of the raise or checkraise, and forces the caller to make a tough decision. Floating and second/third barrel bluffing becomes important as well, since a flop c-bet means close to nothing.

Regardless, I find that the basic texture of most games is that players fold to c-bets too often, so I play far more hands as a raiser than as a caller.