Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2006, 02:34 AM

Default Re: (OT): My Poker Situation, need advice (super long)

[ QUOTE ]
listen to sng-sam.

your dad is a major stakeholder in your life. he cares deeply about you. don't piss it away so that you can play poker.

your relationship with your father is far more important than your relationship with the poker table. it is definitely +ev to maintain your relationship with your father - far more +ev than you'll get from poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with all of this. I just don't think the relationship is worth much if playing poker on the side while he goes to college will make his father disown him or whatever. His father cares deeply about him unconditionally. Which is why he should play poker if that makes him happy, as long as he doesn't let poker get in the way of his studying. Since that seems important to the both of them.

Respect your father and listen to him, but you are old enough to make your own decisions and take the consequences of them. Your father might not agree with those decisions all of the time, but he should realise they are yours to make even if they are mistakes.

I never relied on my parents for money when I move out and went to college since school is free and we get student loan here in Norway. This might be why I'm having difficulties understanding this: "Do what your father says, he knows whats best for you attitude". When i moved out and went to college, I was pretty much over with the part of my life where my parents made decisions for me. I still love and respect them and will listen to what they'll have to say, and often will do whatever it is they reccomend since it makes sense. But not because I think I'm obligated to or anything.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:51 AM

Respect your old man.
Get that degree.
Go to the gym.

Review your HH.
Read books.
Post here.

Try and negotiate with your dad about the poker.
Try and get him interested and maybe even start playing (skin him).

Do not go behind his back (on poker anyway).
Old 06-20-2006, 10:54 AM

its quite simple really, go to college, do well, play poker, make money...???? what's the problem? do what you wanna do.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:14 PM

Snakekilla, it's pretty clear you have 2 options

1) Obey your Dad's wishes and not play poker
or
2) Play poker and keep it a secret.

There is nothing at all wrong with #1, however you are an adult and you're not doing anything wrong or illegal, so if you wish to go the route of #2 it is certainly your choice. However, if you do go the route of #2 make sure you are careful enough not to screw up and get caught. That includes things like having a friend over one summer and he accidently says something in front of your old man about how you took down 10 grand on some tournament last week or a roommate who says something stupid when your Dad comes to visit you up at college. I would hate to see you a year or two into college and then your old man finds out you've been lying to him this whole time and then he disowns you or refuses to pay for your school. As someone who had to put himself through school, I can tell you that paying for your own school is no easy task and having your parents financial support makes life a whole lot easier.

I'm not telling you to choose option 1 or 2 (it's your call), but if you choose 2, just be very careful because often secrets are discovered.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Join the Army.

[/ QUOTE ]