FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: 88
raise 29 25.66%
call 55 48.67%
fold 16 14.16%
i dont know 13 11.50%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2006, 04:20 PM

Default Re: How many of you actually want to “go pro”?

I think if my next meal depended on it....that would kind of take the fun out of it.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:58 PM

That does seem quite high, although I guess recreational players don't bother reading poker forums... or any other means of improving their game.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:05 PM

I love my day job too much to quit. Besides, i doubt i could make as much "going pro" anyway. It's nice for a hobby that pays decently. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2006, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, a good salary straight out of college would be something like $70k I guess,

[/ QUOTE ]

Are they still telling sophmores they can expect 70K right out of school? ROFLMAO

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, try 35k

[/ QUOTE ]

yup...35-45K

unless your an engineer or get into consulting high pay jobs, you're not going to hit 70K for at least 5 years if not longer
Old 06-20-2006, 06:32 PM

if i get good at this game and start beating 2k nl before I graduate, no question about it, if im not, i'll be putting in those apps
Old 06-20-2006, 06:56 PM

people who turned pro 2-3 years ago make a fortune. there isnt the number of fish around anymore, and with the ability of the pros to multitable compared to a few years ago, it has changed the balance yet furthur. for example say 2 years ago the most pros were on average multitabling were 4 tables, and lets say there were 10 fish to every 10 pros. this meant a 10:40 ratio. nowadays pros are playing 6-8 tables, and the 10:10 ratio is more like 7:10 (drop in number of fish as an individual player), so we now have say 7 fish for every 60-80 pro players sitting down, i.e. 1 fish per full ring table compared with 2-3 a couple of years ago. yes the numbers arent completely righgt, but you get the gist.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:50 PM

I like my degree and enjoy my hobby that allows me to not have a job [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I have no ambition to ever play poker full time.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You left out a selection for "Already am a pro."

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad.
In hindsight, there are some other things wrong with my poll also. For instance, “pro” could mean different things to different people. Technically, I am a “pro studio musician” since I have been hired and payed to do some guitar and vocal work on someone else’s project... but I hardly would consider myself a pro.
Is a kid living with his parents rent free and making $50.00 a day a pro if he has no other job? Technically, he is I guess... though I don’t feel like he is.
To me, paying your own way in life with rent/mortgage etc by only playing poker is what constitutes a “pro”, but someone else might have a different opinion.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
people who turned pro 2-3 years ago make a fortune. there isnt the number of fish around anymore, and with the ability of the pros to multitable compared to a few years ago, it has changed the balance yet furthur. for example say 2 years ago the most pros were on average multitabling were 4 tables, and lets say there were 10 fish to every 10 pros. this meant a 10:40 ratio. nowadays pros are playing 6-8 tables, and the 10:10 ratio is more like 7:10 (drop in number of fish as an individual player), so we now have say 7 fish for every 60-80 pro players sitting down, i.e. 1 fish per full ring table compared with 2-3 a couple of years ago. yes the numbers arent completely righgt, but you get the gist.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are actually going to be a pro, you need to think more like one. I might think people are fish, and they might think they are sharks.

The point is if you think that there are only 7 fish for every 60-80 players at these tables YOU are one of the FISH.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are actually going to be a pro, you need to think more like one. I might think people are fish, and they might think they are sharks.

The point is if you think that there are only 7 fish for every 60-80 players at these tables YOU are one of the FISH.

[/ QUOTE ]

I took a quick glance at the 50/100 6max game on party last night and 3 of the players were fish. Hope has been restored.