Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2006, 03:06 AM

Default Re: Question in $225 Stars Turbo hand.

Oh, and one more thing as a side question:

Would anyone here mind explaining to me the difference between chipEV and $EV. Thank you.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Would anyone here mind explaining to me the difference between chipEV and $EV. Thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

the chipEV of a play reflects how many chips you figure to have as a result of that play. the $EV of the same play reflects how much those chips figure to be worth in real money terms, given the tournament's payout structure.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the chipEV of a play reflects how many chips you figure to have as a result of that play. the $EV of the same play reflects how much those chips figure to be worth in real money terms, given the tournament's payout structure.

[/ QUOTE ]

okay well i understand the $EV thinggy, but this chipEV is hard for me to grasp atm...should one even use chipEV when evaluating a decision in a SNG or is $EV all you need? If I am wrong please correct me because this is a new concept to me and I have no idea how to apply it because I still don't know what you're talking about. thank you.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:35 AM

You should use $EV.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:37 AM

A lot of the time (especially early), you can use cEV to estimate EV.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

okay well i understand the $EV thinggy, but this chipEV is hard for me to grasp atm...should one even use chipEV when evaluating a decision in a SNG or is $EV all you need? If I am wrong please correct me because this is a new concept to me and I have no idea how to apply it because I still don't know what you're talking about. thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, $EV is all that matters in both cash games and SnGs. It's just that in cash games $EV is the same as chipEV since chips are worth their face value & you can cash out any time. when people talk about chipEV in the context of SnGs, it's usually just to set cash game donks right in bubble situations where the money value of chips diverges dramatically from their face value.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand how you can be a winner at the $200 and $500 SNGs.

Also, I'm not trying to insult you or anything. This preflop limp is ATROCIOUS (and wtf? "limp to hit two pair, not top pair?"), and you're also asking the difference between chip_EV and $EV? How are you winning at this level of SNGS? Weren't you 30-tabling the lower limits a while ago?

edit: again, not trying to start a flame war. just trying to figure out how a person limping JTo in MP early game and asking what's chip_EV is doing at the $525s.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, I'm not trying to insult you or anything. This preflop limp is ATROCIOUS (and wtf? "limp to hit two pair, not top pair?"), and you're also asking the difference between chip_EV and $EV? How are you winning at this level of SNGS? Weren't you 30-tabling the lower limits a while ago?

edit: again, not trying to start a flame war. just trying to figure out how a person limping JTo in MP early game and asking what's chip_EV is doing at the $525s.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe if you weren't busy asking such atrocious questions you'd be a winning player at the 525's.

edit: you pretty much only insulted me man. thanks for being a complete waste of my time and in general a piece of hazardous nuclear waste in the presence of anyone who finds what I type interesting and beneficial.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe if you weren't busy asking such atrocious questions you'd be a winning player at the 525's.

edit: you pretty much only insulted me man. thanks for being a complete waste of my time and in general a piece of hazardous nuclear waste in the presence of anyone who finds what I type interesting and beneficial.

[/ QUOTE ]

knew I should have worded my post differently.

I'm not picking on you. I'm not calling you a bad SNG player. Obviously you have a lot of skill because you've played many SNGs and have a positive track record.

However, the preflop limp is TOTALLY INCORRECT. There's absolutely no reason to be playing a super marginal hand in EP (ok, even MP) after one limper this early in the game. I would fold JTo and JTs 100% of the time here.

That's one point. The second point is not knowing the difference between $eV and chip_eV. I mean, this is answered in the FAQ and even $11 players can generally tell you what each of them is and how they should be used in SNGs (i.e. avoiding coinflips during the early game because it's neutral chip_eV-wise and -$eV).

I apologize if the post offended you. I just wanted to know how a person with such a big flaw in their game and without knowledge of chip/$ev could ascend and be (presumably) a winner at the $555s.

And yeah, I probably shouldn't talk since I'm just a lowly 109s/215s regular.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:04 AM

fold pf.