Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2006, 02:32 AM

Default Re: Take the Hotel or the $1,000

I walked from Bellagio to the Rio in the middle of July... It was a hike but if you don't get to visit Vegas often, and you're not a fat ass, its quite enjoyable despite the heat.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:52 AM

Vegas is about the cheapest city in the US for rental cars, provided you are 25+. A quick check on Orbitz shows $150 after all taxes for a weekly rental car from Dollar.

Last year trying to get a cab from the Rio back to the strip was a nightmare at the end of the night. Remember that there will be about 500 others looking for a cab too.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Vegas is about the cheapest city in the US for rental cars, provided you are 25+. A quick check on Orbitz shows $150 after all taxes for a weekly rental car from Dollar.

Last year trying to get a cab from the Rio back to the strip was a nightmare at the end of the night. Remember that there will be about 500 others looking for a cab too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Scott (or anyone else): Any rental car ideas for those who are under 25 (but over 21)?
Old 06-15-2006, 01:17 PM

After reading this thread I think I am the only one who opted out of both. I am a bit superstitious (I have my lucky poker clothes) and lets face it, being the weak-tight player I am, I’ll take all the extra help I can get.

Also I’m not really fond of the idea of being a walking billboard for PS (though to be perfectly honest I am a big fan of the site). Anyone interested in sharing a room? Drop me a PM at wptbds AT yahoo.com.

Kinda OT; I’m not sure if any of you lurk around other parts of this site, but take a look at the following:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=0#Post3814057

I was laughing so hard my dog was looking at me like I was crazy.

tim
Old 06-15-2006, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$55 per night hotel * 9 = $495

Cash = $1000

$1000 > $495

therefore

Cash > Hotel

[/ QUOTE ]
Taxes. Did everybody suddenly forget about those?

Yes, technically you're liable for taxes on the hotel room as well, but that's pretty unlikely to show up in an audit.

BTW, cab fare recently went up in Vegas ... quite a lot. IMHO car rental is the only way to go - unless you're less than 25 years old, [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] .
Old 06-15-2006, 02:02 PM

Kinda OT, but did anyone have any problem with registration? It's been two days and I still can't register to the WSOP via the link they sent me. Stars havn't replied yet.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, cab fare recently went up in Vegas ... quite a lot. IMHO car rental is the only way to go - unless you're less than 25 years old, [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] .

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

edit: if anyone is offering rides to the Rio from the Monte Carlo, i'll chip in a few dollars.

i don't even know how far it is.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kinda OT, but did anyone have any problem with registration? It's been two days and I still can't register to the WSOP via the link they sent me. Stars havn't replied yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't have any problems with registration itself, but I registered over 4 weeks ago and haven't got my day 1 assignment yet.

Steve
Old 06-15-2006, 03:42 PM

Yeah I haven't heard about my hotel or start day yet either it's been 3 or 4 weeks.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:37 PM

For those who qualified (and registered) with Stars, but haven't heard their starting day:

I qualified in the $650 on Apr. 23rd, and I registered 2 days later; I got my email from Harrah's regarding my starting day (1D) on May 26th. I don't know if this is typical or not.

To the OP: I took the cash and got 4 nights at Paris for a little less than $500. Paris has a free shuttle to the Rio. I think this was the best option for me (because I don't intend on staying in Vegas for 9 nights -- unless of course I last more than 1 day in the tournament, which I suspect I won't).

Regarding the rental car discussion: I would definitely recommend getting a rental car. Cabs in Vegas are expensive, the monorail service is relatively worthless, and it's hot as hell in Vegas in July (for those of you thinking about walking).