Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2006, 12:32 AM

Default Re: Non-racial prejudice

i believe there is a common prejudice against people from low income urban areas.

i grew up in an area of chicago that many people associate with crime and drugs. throughout my life, i have run into many people that instantly judged me because of where i lived. i went to the best private schools in the city, and many of the students lived in much more affluent areas than myself. on many occasions i was shunned from groups because i was from the "ghetto". i figured this phenomenon would end when i was older and not dealing with ignorant high school students. sadly, i feel that i have been treated differently by many educated people for the same reason over the years. i have a good friend that has had many of the same experiences through his education and career path. we both attend top 10 schools in the country for our chosen professions, and i find it comical that people think that i must be some ignorant criminal because i was raised on the wrong side of the tracks.

to make a long story short, just because someone wasnt raised in the suburbs doesnt mean that they are an uneducated impolite piece of garbage.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What about someone like rjd2, who merges turntablism, sampling, and production to create entirely new works?

[/ QUOTE ]
RJD2, in that case, is not a musician. DJ Danger Mouse was not being a musician when he made the Grey album.

If I increase the volume of a particular frequency during some part of some song, does that make me a musician? No, it makes me a sound engineer. I might entertain arguments that, at least in the case of the really creative guys, certain individuals are artists, but musicians? Don't think so.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:50 AM

Every woman i've ever talked to has been biased against me, is that what you are talking about?
Old 06-11-2006, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What about someone like rjd2, who merges turntablism, sampling, and production to create entirely new works?

[/ QUOTE ]
RJD2, in that case, is not a musician. DJ Danger Mouse was not being a musician when he made the Grey album.

If I increase the volume of a particular frequency during some part of some song, does that make me a musician? No, it makes me a sound engineer. I might entertain arguments that, at least in the case of the really creative guys, certain individuals are artists, but musicians? Don't think so.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that is a good response. I guess I was just really upset to see someone say something that disrespected an artform/ability that I had come to respect.

But like I said, semantics aren't the real issue and I probably mistitled the thread.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:03 PM

a big one is in college, science type majors being prejudiced against liberal arts types
Old 06-11-2006, 04:06 PM

Does prejudice against midgets count?
Old 06-11-2006, 04:52 PM

I know a bunch of people that consider themselves very tolerent of race, religion and sexual orientation, yet they have no problem judging someone they just met based on their astrological sign.

I have argued with them many times that applying preconcieved stereotypes based on what day someone is born is just as absurd as judging them by the color of their skin, but they are always too stubborn to admit that I'm right.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
to make a long story short, just because someone wasnt raised in the suburbs doesnt mean that they are an uneducated impolite piece of garbage.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Loc: keepin it gansta...

[/ QUOTE ]
way to fight the stereotype