Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2006, 11:58 PM

Default Re: Should the Twins move Mauer to a different position?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Absolutely not, considering there is no [censored] way the Twins can re-sign him when he becomes a free agent.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the Twins have the baseball's best pitcher signed to a multiyear deal, then certainly it is possible for them to resign Mauer, especially considering he is a hometown hero and might give them a discount.

[/ QUOTE ]

Santana was not a free agent, and was a Rule 5 Draft Pick. This is completely different than signing someone when they attain free agency. Mauer will be with the team through arbitration (assuming the Twins can buy out his arbitration years, which GM Terry Ryan is smart enough to do), and probably will be let go after free agency after being offered arbitration. He'll go to a team that is willing to shell out the big bucks for him and needs a strong bat, and the Twins will receive compensatory draft picks. It works out for the Twins.

Trust me. There is no way Mauer will be a Twin after free agency barring some sort of ownership change.

EDIT: Or career-altering injury.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why wouldn't the Twins lock up Mauer before he reaches Free Agency like they did with Santana?
Old 06-11-2006, 12:00 AM

I was just talking to Aaron Gleeman, he told me he would bet on Mauer being a Twin for life [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-11-2006, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was just talking to Aaron Gleeman, he told me he would bet on Mauer being a Twin for life [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anytime Aaron is on my side, I like my chances. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-11-2006, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would I trust you? You are condescending, not in touch with the situation in Minnesota, and most important of all, you haven't given me one good reason.

Anyways, I agree that the Mauer situation has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that we happen to have the best pitcher in baseball at the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, here's your good reason:

The Twins are on a constrained budget and cannot afford the cost that Mauer will demand when he reaches free agency.

You talk like "the situation in Minnesota" means he'll accept tens of millions less to sign with the Twins. Guess what? He won't.

As for the other poster that said "shouldn't they lock him up before free agency?" Yes, they will - through his arbitration years. No baseball player like Mauer is going to forfeit free agency and sign THROUGH that period. That would be absurd.

EDIT: It's not like Mauer does his own negotiations. He has Ron Shapiro, one of the best agents, to deal for him. If the Twins keep Mauer for life, it is going to require a giant inflow of cash. Personally, I hope the Twins keep him locked up, but I wouldn't bet on it unless the new stadium and ownership wants to shell out the cash for a deal that won't be worth it at the end of the contract. It's much more likely that the Twins let him go and pick up compensatory draft picks. That will be the +EV play - no doubt about it.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

No baseball player like Mauer is going to forfeit free agency and sign THROUGH that period. That would be absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

Johan did.

And don't argue this.
Please.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:24 AM

Lots and lots of young players sign through their free agent years. That players are willing to do that is the primary reason teams try to sign guys to long term deals, just locking a guy up through arbtitration isn't very good for the team.

And Santana being a Rule V guy is completely irrelevant, I don't know why that was mentioned.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

No baseball player like Mauer is going to forfeit free agency and sign THROUGH that period. That would be absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

Johan did.

And don't argue this.
Please.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a huge difference between:

1) A Rule 5 Draft Pick given a shot by a team to sign through free agency (who, by the way, makes $10M + incentives per year, which is not exactly cheap - but obviously a good deal).
2) The first overall pick in the draft at a position that is damn near impossible to fill with good talent represented by one of the best negotiators in all of baseball.

I'm not arguing against the facts. I'm arguing over the ridiculous perception that the best catcher in all of the MLB will forego free agency out of loyalty.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Johan did.

And don't argue this.
Please.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if Mauer leaves its after his 8th season. He'll come to a backloaded agreement that pays 6-7 mil a year for years 5-8
Old 06-11-2006, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lots and lots of young players sign through their free agent years. That players are willing to do that is the primary reason teams try to sign guys to long term deals, just locking a guy up through arbtitration isn't very good for the team.

[/ QUOTE ]

What young players who were drafted in the first round that are obviously demonstrated talent have skipped free agency out of loyalty, and were underpaid in doing so?

[ QUOTE ]
And Santana being a Rule V guy is completely irrelevant, I don't know why that was mentioned.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it isn't. Santana was not a first round draft pick and signed his extension after only one full year of dominant pitching (2004). Santana also lost arbitration in 2004, making him more willing to sign in 2005.

Mauer will be playing in the big leagues for many years and will have obviously demonstrated that his value is extremely high. It is likely that GM Terry Ryan will be able to negotiate a signing through arbitration, buying out Mauer's years (this is best for both parties) but will be unable to do so through any significant portion of free agency.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Johan did.

And don't argue this.
Please.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if Mauer leaves its after his 8th season. He'll come to a backloaded agreement that pays 6-7 mil a year for years 5-8

[/ QUOTE ]

That's entirely possible - Mauer's contract is likely to include a club option for the last year with a buyout option if he should suffer injury or decline quickly (both unlikely, but who knows with catchers).