Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2006, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Theory - EP in Full Ring

[ QUOTE ]
I think everyone would do well to NEVER OPEN LIMP ANYTHING. That is, unless you care to let everyone know you've got a small pair or a suited connector. Cause would you limp/call AK? AQ? JJ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm huh? I think you're either throwing money away if you never open limp or you don't play loose enough in LP. There's some good information on this stuff in NLHETP. They present the idea that in limit play open limping is almost never correct b/c of blind steal concerns but in NL you can often more profitably play limped pots against the blinds than raised ones, plus other specifics that I don't remember exactly since I've only read the book once so far.

Again this is all dependent on position. I think from EP open limping is usually incorrect, but I open limp tons the later my position is. If you were referring to open-limps from EP than I apologize but you said NEVER, not NEVER IN EP.

Also, most players don't put you on a pocket pair or suited connector at low stakes just b/c you limpedt--they don't put you on anything at all. Obviously there are exceptions.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:55 PM

"I think everyone would do well to NEVER OPEN LIMP ANYTHING. That is, unless you care to let everyone know you've got a small pair or a suited connector. Cause would you limp/call AK? AQ? JJ?"

You have to limp AK AQ JJ and AA, KK QQ and so on sometimes to so that people cant out you on a hand that easily. And i limp JJ alot EP btw, full ring that is
Old 06-07-2006, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hardly anyone is tight enough in EP or loose enough in LP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I am pretty tight EP. Any tips on opening up in LP?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do it frequently. Charge limpers for doing so. Utilize positional advantage postflop by showing extreme aggression, but watch for observant opponents picking up on this.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1. UL
2. UL
3. UL
4. UL
5. UL
6. UL
7. Fold!

UL = Usually limp

Fold some of those hands (probably suited ace and the small pair) if you're likely to face a big raise.

Happy? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow this looks horrible. Every one of these As is a fold UTG in full-ring. If you absolutely must play it, raising would be clearly better (but still bad in FR).

KQs is also a raise/fold hand for me. I raise it, but I'm very laggy in FR.

But limping with easily dominated TP-type hands that won't flop sets is just lighting money on fire.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think raising might be a WORSE move than folding with many of these hands. You're basically gauranteed to get it short handed or heads up when most of these hands crave multi-way pots. JJ is the only "tough" decision to make here because it plays so much differently than the other hands. Then again, if you raise in EP and get called by a tough LP player, you're probably not winning much postflop unless you both get monster hands.

[ QUOTE ]
Any tips on opening up in LP?

[/ QUOTE ]

Play more hands [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Seriously this has been discussed a lot. Open raise any time a weak/tighty limps in front of you. Raise the button with anything you'd play on the button, including SC's. If the blinds are weak, raise with any two if it's folded to you. Blah blah blah
Old 06-07-2006, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hardly anyone is tight enough in EP or loose enough in LP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I am pretty tight EP. Any tips on opening up in LP?

[/ QUOTE ]

I play like 75% of hands from the button in unraised pots, especially if there are weak players already in the pot that have decent stacks.

From the cutoff you can probably only play 50-60% profitably unless you have a rock to your left, then its like 70%. From the HJ I wouldn't worry about it too much, just add hands like connectors and some bigger suited kings to your list of hands to limp. (K8s, Q7s, 89o, etc).
Old 06-07-2006, 05:02 PM

I think many SSNLers generally play too tight from EP in games that are loose-passive preflop (read: almost all SSNL games). There are a lot of profitable opportunities in those games from EP that people are passing on because it goes against the "standard" SSNL play.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think everyone would do well to NEVER OPEN LIMP ANYTHING. That is, unless you care to let everyone know you've got a small pair or a suited connector. Cause would you limp/call AK? AQ? JJ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can not put into words how terrible this advice is.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooh, come to my table with your open limping. I will love it.

And to those who advise open limping in late position: Huh? What parallel universe did I drunkenly stumble into?
Old 06-07-2006, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooh, come to my table with your open limping. I will love it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's bad advice too... many hands are worth a limp but not a raise.