Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2006, 03:06 PM

Default Re: So Who is the 900 lb Economic Gorilla?

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, lets say we totally cut off trade with China. The fact is that our economy would feel a bump, perhaps even a significant bump. However, China's economy would be in shattered ruins.

[/ QUOTE ]

This hurts me deep inside. If the US can actually produce goods that can compete with Chinese goods in the marketplace (i.e., there's money to be made in doing so), then why aren't they doing that now?

If we cut out trade with China, American consumers will have to pay much more for USA union made products rather than products made overseas. We don't want that, and the asians don't want to be out of a job. Why would this even be a consideration?
Old 06-06-2006, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Chinese policy

yes we should say NO to extreme right in US. pathetic.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, lets say we totally cut off trade with China. The fact is that our economy would feel a bump, perhaps even a significant bump. However, China's economy would be in shattered ruins. They depend upon the US almost completely. Look at their exports, look at their profit centers. Look at the Trade Deficit we have with them. We cut that off they are going to be out hundreds of BILLIONS if not TRILLIONS of US dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoops - There goes Wal-Mart.

I think China may get a little pissed if we stopped buying their crap. Who wants an angry China?

-AS
Old 06-06-2006, 04:06 PM

That's the whole point of the trade defecit in the first place. They can make cheap products for a number of reasons. First and foremost cheap (almost bordering on slave) labor. Second, protectionism. China engages in it, Japan engages in it, yet, for the most part, we do not. We have just about the most free trade stance of any nation. We cannot compete overseas in many cases because the individual countries protect their industries via tarrifs or other similar measures. Furthermore, the tax climate for business in the US is not the greatest. If we were to revamp our tax code, say go to a consumption tax, the business climate would be fantastic. You want to solve outsourcing? Change to a consumption tax and repeal the Amendment allowing an income tax.

Now, I am not saying that cutting off trade should be a consideration. I am just point out the fact that they need us much more than we need them. We put up with their crap because we know that in the long term Capitalism will end the Tyrrany of their governmental system.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:07 PM

I am not saying that we SHOULD do it. Yes, it would piss off China. They might even want war over the issue. But, they cannot win the war, not sure we can either, but I am sure that they cannot.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not saying that we SHOULD do it. Yes, it would piss off China. They might even want war over the issue. But, they cannot win the war, not sure we can either, but I am sure that they cannot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Is it better for us to continue our policy of active engagement with the Chinese dictators and fascists and communists or should we be with the lone Chinese person in the photograph? Should we say NO to "Made in China"? Should we say NO to one of the most active human rights abusers around?

[/ QUOTE ]

If by "we" you mean individuals making consumer and travel choices, then fine. But for the govt to intercede and tell us who we can trade with and where we can travel (e.g. Cuba), this is immoral.

natedogg
Old 06-06-2006, 10:44 PM

Yeah. I want to go to Cuba.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:07 AM

China will rise up and crush the american super power within 50yrs people will laugh at what was american supremacy.

Don't tell China how to run it's [censored] country, it's the most stable it has been for 1000s of years now with virtually no border problems and only the small issue of reunification with taiwan (which most taiwanese people support).

America leaving china haha, you're already so deep in debt to them you can't leave.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:29 AM

Default Tomorrow, the world

[ QUOTE ]
Mea Culpa

[/ QUOTE ]Wait. Wait. Did you just quoted the world's GDP figure as the United States' GDP ??

I will file that under both Freudian Slips and Ann Coulterisms.