Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2006, 02:10 PM

Default Re: When a resteal goes bad

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bet the flop.

edit: If I'm going to attempt a resteal, I need to think about what hand I'm trying to represent. There isn't a single hand I would reraise an UTG raiser from 3rd position with that I would not continue with a bet on the flop. So bet whatever amount you think gives you the best chance of winning the pot without crippling your stack if it fails. Shut down to resistance unless you get some fluke runner trips or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

nath,

i disagree.

the resteal was preflop -- he thought villian had a wide range, and he thought he could take the pot away. SINCE RESTEALING, he gained information -- villian hollywooded and eventually called the bet. his read was that villian had a big hand (which MIGHT include AK, but I don't think so -- likely ONLY includes big pairs). CBing a flop with that read is terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, I suppose, but "Hollywooding" can mean lots of things. He could have a TT type hand that he's not sure about. Live you could watch the player and have a much better idea of whether or not his think was genuine.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Very easy fold. Re-stealing with air is a one shot bluff. You want to fold to resistance because 1. you are almost certainly behind & 2. you do not want to show down 6-3o here.

[/ QUOTE ]

This captures my thinking exactly at the time. I knew my image was tight because just about every preflop raise was getting respect. If I show that hand off right then I'm in a world of hurt. At the very least I think the table has to credit me on a busted low pocket pair, like say 3s or 6s which both missed the board. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
how does OP actually know that villain is stealing from UTG?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had seen villain raise 1/4 - 1/3 of his UTG hands and had been with him for a while. Not once had he showed down, and the table was annoying me by folding almost all of their hands to him. When I finally had previously played back at him he wilted. So yeah, I had a read - otherwise I'm not going nuts here.

If I had more behind I would have been more willing to toss a cbet in there, especially if I'm on air. The flop is the last time I put any money in on a play like this (as evidenced by folding when I'm getting 20:1 and all). But having to toss in another 1/4 of what I started with hoping for a fold sounds like trouble as I am probably better off open folding the river if I get a call/check/check out of villain.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:48 AM

Just felt like thread necroing this to add a few points...

#1 restealing from EP is usually too risky and takes a solid solid read. You have a solid read, but you're still in EP. That being said, I don't hate this as much as I did (some of my posts here aren't too good...), but know this is a high variance play.

[ QUOTE ]
I knew my image was tight because just about every preflop raise was getting respect.

[/ QUOTE ]
#2 your table image probably isn't as tight as you think it is if you've been stealing and restealing a lot. Sure, you've only SHOWN good hands...but anyone who's paying attention still sees that you take down a lot of hands preflop. Villain here has been stealing a lot and had people fold to him. Do you think HE has a tight image?
Old 11-29-2006, 05:47 AM

What the hell is going on in this thread? I can't even read it all, it makes no sense! You "resteal" an UTG raise, and then you don't even tell us what the flop was? Anyway in a 3$ rebuy I'd assume a minbet into a huge pot is weak and push, since you got yourself into this [censored] spot by reraising with 63o for no reason its only fitting you bust by pushing into top set with 6 high