Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2006, 04:18 PM

Default Re: when to move up to 2/5NL?

[ QUOTE ]
at the 2/5NL level...5K would be a good start...at most you'll have swings of no more than 2 buy ins if you're a good player

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's DANGEROUS advice. Holy cow. You've never lost 3 or 4 buyins in quick succession? All-in pre-flop with KK cracked by AJ, followed by all-in pre-flop with AA cracked by 77, followed by all-in post-flop with the nut set cracked by a straightflush draw? You be runnin' lucky, then. In the span of 30 minutes I've lost my stack as a 5:1 favorite followed by a 45:1 favorite, followed by a 1.5:1 favorite.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've logged about 840 hours of live play at the 2/5 level (mostly in Vegas and Dallas). Most of the games were 500max (though some were no max at the Wynn).

My biggest downswing was just a shade over 2k. This isn't to say that a 5k downswing isn't possible for a solid player but it would be quite a statistically significant occurence.

AND given that ur not playing for a living AND seem capable of stepping back down for a while if things go poorly, I see no problem in stepping up with as little as 3 or 4k.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:30 PM

I'd say 10 buy-ins in as plush roll for a recreational player. 6 isn't bad whatsoever. You don't need a <5% risk of ruin. Just as long as you're a winning player and enjoy it go on ahead and kill it. My 20-30 buy-ins was a pro playing rec.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
at most you'll have swings of no more than 2 buy ins if you're a weak tight player who doesn't care about maximizing profit.

[/ QUOTE ]

2 Buyins? You are insane.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
at most you'll have swings of no more than 2 buy ins if you're a weak tight player who doesn't care about maximizing profit.

[/ QUOTE ]

2 Buyins? You are insane.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes...I am very weak tight

I play bad...what can I say
<font color="white">arrogant prick </font>
Old 05-30-2006, 05:16 PM

tomcollins,

I have a question for you?

Do you even play poker? you never post in MSNL or SSNL or HSNL and you spend most your time trolling politics and OOT

gimme some insight on strategy for once, then make a stupid statement
Old 05-30-2006, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
at the 2/5NL level...5K would be a good start...at most you'll have swings of no more than 2 buy ins if you're a good player

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-30-2006, 10:57 PM

Yes I play poker. Probably better than you (in NL). We can set up a freezeout if you beg to differ.

<font color="white"> arrogant prick</font>
Old 05-30-2006, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes I play poker. Probably better than you (in NL). We can set up a freezeout if you beg to differ.

<font color="white"> arrogant prick</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

i'll play heads up...but I still think you need your head screwed on straight

a live player playing TAG won't see too much variance in this game...
Old 05-31-2006, 12:42 AM

I played 2/5 and 1/2 in Vegas last time out and found the increase in skill pretty minor. Still a lot of poor players when the game is good. Is the 2/5 in AC really that much tougher than the 1/2?

I just moved to NY and have been planning to play 2/5 when I get down to AC on the weekends... is it a bit more soft at that time than the weekdays?

My advice to the OP is to get into the 2/5 games when they look good or you feel good. If you're just a recreational player, get your feet wet and get comfortable.

NT
Old 05-31-2006, 03:46 AM

The difference I find between 1/2 and 2/5 is in the percentage of donators at the table. In 15 minutes at a typical 1/2 table I will have picked out normally about 2 and often 3 people that are going to feed the rest of the table chips ("you called a $200 all-in with KQo?" "Of course I called--KQ is a great hand and I'll do it everytime I get KQ and someone goes all-in"). There may be a couple more bad players but they're going to at least put up a struggle. At 2/5, it's a much thinner set of donators so it's a lot more about specific tables. If you find yourself fighting for scraps with players who are your equal, move along.