Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2006, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Ben Wallace Worst FT Shooter Ever?

[ QUOTE ]
The bigger you are, the harder it tends to be - but then again, Dirk Nowitzki's one of the best free throw shooters in the league, and Tim Duncan's a respectable 68% for his career.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the issue is probably hand size, as someone mentioned before. However, I remember that Chris Webber, who also has huge hands relative to his size, used to be a sub-50% free throw shooter in college, but has worked his way up to around 80%. I really think Shaq's bad wrists are a big problem for him.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The bigger you are, the harder it tends to be - but then again, Dirk Nowitzki's one of the best free throw shooters in the league, and Tim Duncan's a respectable 68% for his career.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any explanation on how Duncan can shoot 80% one year and then under 60% 2 years later?

I know there's variance, but he shoots enough where that alone isn't a good enough reason.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:28 PM

Hard work? I don't know that's kinda weird. Maybe there was a trainer for that season or something. He kinda out of nowhere hit a real high in FT% and it has kinda tailed off? Did he get married or something (I know he's married) some time in between.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said earlier:

"There's no excuse for big guys like Wallace and Shaq to not be able to make at least 70% of their free throws. Dirk is 7 feet and drains them at a 90% clip. Hakeem and David Robinson were good too, as well as Kareem and Ewing. "
Old 05-24-2006, 05:30 PM

In high school the one huge black kid on the bball team had this problem..he usually didnt even hit the rim. I think it was a combo of his freaky huge hands and size. One of the coaches ended up teaching him how to bank it in with the backboard using just one hand.

he wasnt great after that but he was a lock to go 1/2 every time.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:31 PM

Some people just can't shoot. As I pointed out, Ben Wallace is a 22% jump shooter. If he can barely hit iron from anywhere other than in the paint, one should expect him to miss a lot of free throws even with hard work. He needs to work on his jump shooting and shooting period.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the issue is probably hand size, as someone mentioned before. However, I remember that Chris Webber, who also has huge hands relative to his size, used to be a sub-50% free throw shooter in college, but has worked his way up to around 80%. I really think Shaq's bad wrists are a big problem for him.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah it's got to be more wrists than hands, because Sabonis was big all the way around.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah it's got to be more wrists than hands, because Sabonis was big all the way around.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has to be more than just hand size. Dr. J had some huge meat hooks, and was a 77.5% FT shooter for his career (NBA and ABA).
Old 05-25-2006, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently in college Webber's hands were big enough to call time-out though. DIE IN HELL BASTARD.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Apparently in college Webber's hands were big enough to call time-out though. DIE IN HELL BASTARD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't Michigan not have gotten anywhere close to the championship game without Webber?