Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2006, 04:13 PM

Default Re: POOH-BAH Post: Hand Ranges

nice post merc. congrats on poohbah [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2006, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
for 4_2's question: probably 75, 24, 1 from 25 to 50, 65 30, 5 from 100 to 200 i'd guess? or maybe I'm underestimasting people...?

[/ QUOTE ]

ooooookkkkkk.........?
Old 05-24-2006, 04:50 PM

might be redundant by now, but nh.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:21 PM

Pooh-Bah Post definitely lived up to the hype. NH sir...
Old 10-17-2006, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. When your perceived range has widened, it is likely that villain's range will widen too. When your perceived range has narrowed, it is likely that villain's range will narrow as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isnt it the opposite?

I know that if I were the villain and "you" the hero, it would be. Am I not playing good then?
Old 12-30-2006, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1. When your perceived range has widened, it is likely that villain's range will widen too. When your perceived range has narrowed, it is likely that villain's range will narrow as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isnt it the opposite?

I know that if I were the villain and "you" the hero, it would be. Am I not playing good then?

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain?

For one thing, I don't think the second part of that point is necessarily true. As your range narrows, you have to know what your range is narrowing to, are you narrowing towards a bluff or a monster? If bluff, villain's range probably widens. If monster, it probably narrows.

PS, some books say this (NLT&P is one of the better ones), but you can only think a level above your opponent. Thinking on level 3 all the time will lead you to make mistakes against level 1 opponents.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isnt it the opposite?

[/ QUOTE ]

The maxim of playing loose when opponents play tight and playing tight when opponents are playing loose is an over simplification.

Sometimes you exploit a tight opponent by being looser, other times you should play tighter.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isnt it the opposite?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dan Harrington talks about this a little in his third book, the one with the sample hands.

The hand is with Phil Ivey (if memory serves) who has been playing very LAGgy. Phil's PFR and Flop lead have both been called by Villian. Dan makes the point that Villian has a tough job putting the LAGgy Phil a hand, Phil also has a tough time putting Villian on a hand Villian's range *against Phil* is very wide.

Also, you don't want to counter a LAG by tightening up. That is exactly what he want you to do. He wants you to give up on pot after pot while you wait to hit your monster. As soon as you do an play back at him, he'll know it and exit without losing too many chips.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isnt it the opposite?

[/ QUOTE ]

The maxim of playing loose when opponents play tight and playing tight when opponents are playing loose is an over simplification.

Sometimes you exploit a tight opponent by being looser, other times you should play tighter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike Caro also discussed this in one of his books. He's a limit player, but his idea was that you always loosen up as your opponent's play deviates from the "optimal" pre-flop strategy. As they tighten up, you play more with the knowledge of reduced FE, so you'd play PPs and stuff knowing you're more likely to get paid off. Vs a LAG, you play more knowing that your villain's range is weaker, so you might play more Ax hands that a nit's range would dominate.

The "opposite of opponent" idea is somewhat incorrect.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[

[/ QUOTE ]

in TOP DS discusses adding more semibluffs agaisnt tight players and more vbs against loose players. This is closer to the correct adjustment IMO.