Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2006, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Play an instructive hand with me ---- what would you do?

[ QUOTE ]
Remember he called a raise PF and a bet post flop. What kind of range can you put him on in this situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good qustion, but has he been defending his blinds with calls before?? I would guess about anything 1 gap or suited possibly, or worse if he has been def his bb. Maybe I am reading to much into AVG player, the min raise is fishy, but u have to call and hope 10 or 8 comes on river or he doesnt go bonkers on river bet, least u have position.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Remember he called a raise PF and a bet post flop. What kind of range can you put him on in this situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good qustion, but has he been defending his blinds with calls before?? I would guess about anything 1 gap or suited possibly, or worse if he has been def his bb. Maybe I am reading to much into AVG player, the min raise is fishy, but u have to call and hope 10 or 8 comes on river or he doesnt go bonkers on river bet, least u have position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also has our hero been pressing his blinds every orbit??
Old 05-24-2006, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

2 cards, one of which probably connected with this flop in some way?

Bet whatever you think he'll call with one pair.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:30 PM

Ok, here is what happened. Hero calls the turn reraise.

Turn: (t2800) 4h (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets t1800, BB raises to t3600, Hero calls t3600

River: (t10000) Kh (2 players)
BB bets t7090 (all-in).

River bet is quick, right after card displayed. What do you do now?
Old 05-24-2006, 04:16 PM

Ok, my take on this... I made a mistake with my turn bet, I should have checked. This is exactly the same situation that MLG talks about in his post referenced earlier --- it is more important to keep the pot size low if you don't know where you stand on a hand.

The 1800tc bet on the turn (or 2000tc as others suggested) is horrible because it creates difficult decisions for us. If we are check-raised, we don't know if the person has a combo draw, a set, a straight, or a cold bluff. The best move, I think, is to check behind on the turn, and call a reasonable sized bet on the river, or to make a value bet on the river if it is checked to us. This may reduce the number of chips we win if we are ahead, but helps us avoid losing "a ton" of chips when we are behind. Sometimes, they will draw out on us, but the pot is still small when that happens. In an ideal situation, we hit our boat on the river, and then we can feel free to go to the mat with them; we can feel confident in that case.

Opinions?
Old 05-25-2006, 09:35 AM

Ok, I see that. And I sort of agree. In this case, it bothers me allowing allowing someone to draw for nothing with two straights and two flush draws on the board.

As I said in my orginal post, I bet more or less the pot on the flop, signalling that I do have a hand and it's not a c-bet. I'd be happier checking behind on the turn if I had done that.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:40 AM

There is 10,000 in the pot and he has less than that. If it were me I would push in this situation too, no matter if I hit or not. That being said I think you're beat, the way it is played I think he poorly played a set, unless he's a blind defender, in which case J9/69 (especially suited hearts or spades) is definitely not out of the question. I think I find a fold here and note this hand somewhere.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:21 PM

I really agree with your reasoning here --- I thought I was beat, but with the pot odds offered me (a call is correct if I am ahead only 30% of the time), and the fact that he might have gone all-in on a missed draw led me to do a crying call. He had 44 for a turned set (so his call on the flop was dubious).

The point is though that my bet on the turn left me vulnerable to a check-raise that could be based on any of the following hands:

J9,96,65,77,88,44 --- all of which beat me
76,87,86,98,97,T9,T7,JT,QT, and a variety of 2 club hands w/ pair or gutshot draws --- where I am ahead.

I set myself up for a difficult decision by my turn bet here.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd bet somewhere around 2k, say 2100.

How do you have VPIP/PFR on Paradise?

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-25-2006, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really agree with your reasoning here --- I thought I was beat, but with the pot odds offered me (a call is correct if I am ahead only 30% of the time), and the fact that he might have gone all-in on a missed draw led me to do a crying call. He had 44 for a turned set (so his call on the flop was dubious).

The point is though that my bet on the turn left me vulnerable to a check-raise that could be based on any of the following hands:

J9,96,65,77,88,44 --- all of which beat me
76,87,86,98,97,T9,T7,JT,QT, and possibly others --- where I am ahead.

I set myself up for a difficult decision by my turn bet here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Decision isn't too difficult, if I get checkraised here by some random person on Paradise from a $33 rebuy, I'm calling.