Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2006, 11:59 PM

Default Re: Preflop Practice Spreadsheet

Those are good honest answers.

I figured the vets would take a look if only to see if they could further modify/expand it for greater use for the community. The best efforts are often collaborative, and it's not like we've reached the holy grail with discusions on hand histories, have we?
Old 08-12-2006, 12:20 AM

There aren't any short cuts. Play some hands, think some about what you are doing and why, play some hands, repeat. I'm sure the macro is great and everything but it's not people. People aren't fungable like situations in software. You won't learn when to not follow the chart by learning from a simulator. At some point you will have to play real live people and then, regardless of where you started, you will start to learn.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:31 AM

Wow. You could say don't read books for the same reasons.

Different ways of learning is good. It's not necessarily a short cut but rather a different method of learning some standards.

Comment is appreciated though.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow. You could say don't read books for the same reasons.

Different ways of learning is good. It's not necessarily a short cut but rather a different method of learning some standards.

Comment is appreciated though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Books aren't short cuts but they can be crutches. You still need to get out and play some hands and see what from the books jibes with real life. Granted, I don't have a lot of book learning vis-a-vie poker, but then again I'm fairly certain there isn't a book that covers .50/1 on Party or .10/.20 on Stars, which is where I play. SSHE comes closest but is still talking about a different game than those 2 places. At the end of the day books give you the biggest advantage you have over the people you win the most money from, so does this forum, and that is thinking about poker.