Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2006, 02:35 AM

Default Re: Tough Decision

I would make a decision based on my table image combined with what raising standards I think villian has.
"A good player" is likely to raise with alot of hands from the bottun IMO, so I would move allin. But if, however, he knows that im likely to think this way I might fold...
Third level thinking [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

How much chips does the good player have? That might effect the decision along with reads.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
DMK,

I guess I'm saying this is not a tough decision then.

[/ QUOTE ]

got it, i must have misunderstood your post.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:42 AM

i see what you are saying for sure dmk and you are probably right. personally i don't like pushing samll aces here because it is a mildly obvious resteal and the villain will most like call IF he is holding a stronger ace. I definatley push hands like KQ, QJ, 89s etc.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i see what you are saying for sure dmk and you are probably right. personally i don't like pushing samll aces here because it is a mildly obvious resteal and the villain will most like call IF he is holding a stronger ace. I definatley push hands like KQ, QJ, 89s etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I virtually guarantee that even if you he knows your exact two cards, pushing is still clearly the best play.

Steve
Old 05-19-2006, 02:44 AM

Villian says he has a good hand. A7 soooted is a mediocre hand and I really dont have the stack for any confontation with the button. My two choices are All-in pf and fold. I like the fold. I can pick a lot better spot to risk my stack. I might raise with this under the right circumstances - but not call a raise thats to me.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Villian says he has a good hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, villian has said "hey, look, i have the button and everyone folded to me". thats all.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Villian says he has a good hand. A7 soooted is a mediocre hand and I really dont have the stack for any confontation with the button. My two choices are All-in pf and fold. I like the fold. I can pick a lot better spot to risk my stack. I might raise with this under the right circumstances - but not call a raise thats to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really faulty thinking. You can't just categorize hands and play based on those artificial categories. In this case button is raising a very wide range of hands. A7s is ahead of that range. Passing up any edge with a stack this short is not right. This isn't even a slight edge, it's pretty substantial (see my next post).

Steve
Old 05-19-2006, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to read more and post less before someone reads your post and actually takes your advice.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I virtually guarantee that even if you he knows your exact two cards, pushing is still clearly the best play.

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

To add to this a bit, here's a likely range for button (it's about what I'd raise and I like to think I'm "good" but I'm definitely not super laggy).

2,643,797,376 games 4.172 secs 633,700,233 games/sec

Board:
Dead:

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 50.7245 % 46.50% 04.22% { A7s }
Hand 2: 49.2755 % 45.05% 04.22% { 22+, A2s+, K5s+, Q8s+, J8s+, T8s+, 97s+, 76s, A2o+, K9o+, Q9o+, JTo }

If he knows we have A7s, he should pretty much call with everything in his range (except 97s, 87s) getting 1.7-1 so if he ever folds, that's fine. Passing up an edge like this is suicide with 12bb's left. Unless David (can I call him David???) knows something I don't, this is a clear push.

Steve

edited because I somehow left all pairs out of his range...it's now closer, but still a push.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to read more and post less before someone reads your post and actually takes your advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on now...posting and having people disagree with you is probably the best way to improve. I was always too much of a wimp to post in threads like these, others shouldn't be.

Steve