Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2006, 02:53 PM

Default Re: PLO8 calling/re-raising pre flop pot size bet from AA2x

Good grief. I look at that graph, and it looks like a total catastrophe for the A34J. Lots of tall red bars on the sub-50% side, and lots of short ones on the other side. Surely that is a fold unless you are playing against a total idiot. And tight players are rarely total idiots.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:14 PM

yea, you are about a 2 to 1 dog to win the pot. but the problem comes from his hand is so strong that you get broke too many times even though you may have outdrwn him on the flop. not counting his side card getting you and when he has something a little different than you think and you go broke trying to run him off.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yea, you are about a 2 to 1 dog to win the pot. but the problem comes from his hand is so strong that you get broke too many times even though you may have outdrwn him on the flop. not counting his side card getting you and when he has something a little different than you think and you go broke trying to run him off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cliff notes at bottom

I think there's been a little too strict of an assumption that the player in question always has AA2x.

I think the forum would sanely and rationally agree that we dont want to play A 3 4 J suited HU against AA2.

That being said, if you widen the range to something more normal (even for a 13 % VP$IP'er) and then throw in the fact that the pot will not be played HU and you will have position in the hand, I dont see how that can't change your decision in regards to the hand.

The tight player wont always have AA2. No one wants to play HU against AA2 with A34J. The implied odds are good with three limpers. We have position.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:58 AM

Can that flopalyzer thing be run against villain's most likely range, i.e. AAwheelX? With his low vpip and pfr% <.5, if he doesn't have AA2 then isn't AA3, AA4 or AA5 a reasonable alternative?
Old 05-22-2006, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can that flopalyzer thing be run against villain's most likely range, i.e. AAwheelX? With his low vpip and pfr% <.5, if he doesn't have AA2 then isn't AA3, AA4 or AA5 a reasonable alternative?

[/ QUOTE ]

AK23, A233, A223, A234, AKK2, AQQ2, A235, As23Qs, As2sJJ

I think that these are all considerable hands that dont contain AA, and should be thrown into the mix.

But the key point IMHO is the three limpers. In a low limit PLO8 game, one pot sized raise in MP and a cold call from the button usuall means all three limpers are calling as well.

When you flop a lot of equity you're going to be in a great spot in this pot.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:54 AM

I'm playing these same tables. I don't have Poker Tracker for Omaha (just for holdem), so I'm relying on my observations.

I have noticed many tight players who rarely raise. When they're tight, they pretty much have aces. But, they don't necessarily have good sidecards.

I guess my point is at the $25 tables, assuming they have AA2x is giving them to much credit. AAxx is more realistic.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have Poker Tracker for Omaha (just for holdem)

[/ QUOTE ]

Son, that's blasphemy 'round these parts.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:17 AM

I think if you look at a guy with a VPIP of 12 and a pfr of .5 there is almnost no way he is raising with AK23, A233, A223, A234, AKK2, AQQ2, A235, As23Qs, As2sJJ. The A23x hand perhaps, but not A2xx. If it's A23x then you aren't in much better shape with your A34x than you are against AA2x anyway.

This is assuming you have more than a few hundred hands with the player of course. If your are basing your AA2 assumption on just a couple hundred or less then you are jumping to conclusions way too quickly.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:25 AM

I'd be curious to know my raising percentages. I'm pretty weak when it comes to raising. Probably fairly rockish.

But I'll still raise a lot of those hands you nixed out when I'm in position. I can't imagine my PFR is higher then 1% (except in tournys) (though I'm certain my VPIP is much higher then 12)... but I'm raiisng AKK2, A234 (at least a little sweetener raise), etc.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Son, that's blasphemy 'round these parts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I need a new laptop. I mostly play on my laptop in the living room. I don't think it can handle keeping databases from 2 different pokertrackers. I assume that the Omaha version is just as much of a spacehog as the holdem version?