Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2006, 08:10 PM

Default Re: getting cute with 44

it also loses less when i'm behind and wins more when i'm ahead if he bluffs again on the turn.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:59 PM

Which are the WA/WB arguements, but I am not sure your opponent drawing to 6 on the flop and 9 on the turn qualifies you as being WA.

I understand you point, though.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:11 PM

i never said this was wa/wb.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:00 PM

Wow, I don't know how but I somehow originally read this as being a blinds battle... Anyways, I don't think a fold is weak/tight if your going to play you low pocket this way. You don't give him a chance to fold at all and you do NOT have the implied odds for set value. I think my calling cutoff here is about 66, fours seems a bit weak to me.

Anyways, I prefer a lead on the flop, I don't see why AQ would raise you all in. I'm pretty comfortable folding to a reraise. As played, obviously the river is a check/fold.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:27 PM

if i were villain i would usually not fold AQ on that flop. not sure if that's universally true.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:48 AM

I check raise the flop every time.

Essentially the way you played it, reraise the turn maybe to the point of all in, if he calls you still have decent chance you will win, and most likely you have THE BEST HAND.

The river is horrible, BUT you will need to value bet it, the question is how much. I think about 1600 is appropriate, and if he goes over the top you can make an easy fold. My only concern here is should you bet 800 on the river will this accomplish the same as the 1600~ or so bet?
Old 01-15-2006, 01:00 AM

why bet the river? and you definitely don't mean "value bet." that's a bet that i'm expecting to get called by a worse hand.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i think the seven was an even more reason to bet. it's a semi-bluff with a chance to win it right there. villian also seemed a little weak to bet 800 again if he just had a medium sized over pair. he would bet a lot more if he had 88-qq. more than likely he has overs and you shouldve bet the open ended.

[/ QUOTE ]

one reason i don't like this line is that i can get raised off my hand. if he is going to be bet small on the flop, he'll likely do it again on the turn and i can draw and get to a cheap showdown. my hand is good enough to win a small pot at showdown but it will not win a big one.

[/ QUOTE ]
maybe i just dont understand why you wanted a showdown. you say you dont want to be thrown off your hand.. but you're allowing free cards with 4's. I wouldve either tried to win it on the flop or let it go.