Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2006, 08:12 AM

Default Re: Worst bicycle accident stories...

About 2 years ago I saw a guy crash pretty hard in Ithaca Ny (which has many big hills). The crash basically happened when an (Asian) guy on an old bike going down a steep hill lost his brakes. I was waiting to pull into a parking lot and he was coming towards me (I did in fact almost cut him off). He ends up flipping when the front tire turned on him, he flew a good 10 feet face first into pavement. He was bleeding badly. I waited for an ambulance, trying to calm him but I couldn't harldy understand a word he said. I bet he was OK, just alot of blood on his face made it look pretty bad.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:35 AM

Last year, a co-worker at my internship got hit by a car and spent some time in the hospital for broken bones and internal injuries. Nothing too serious, but still pretty bad.

This year, my boss at my (new) job was riding and saw a small bird fly in front of him. Seconds later, a hawk that was chasing the bird flew into his front tire. Hospital, broken bones, etc.

Sponger wins this thread though. Nothing's going to be any worse than that.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One of my friends was training on her road bike this year and fell and was crushed by a trailor truck and died.

I think she wins. Actually coincidentally it would be her birthday today. My parents died in a car accident when I was 12 you want to talk about that (just kidding)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that explains every post you've ever made. Sorry dude.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:50 AM

I was about 14 at the time...

I was riding my friend's bike (my mom dropped me off at his house, which was pretty far and our car couldn't fit my bike).

So, we're going down a typical street, with a sidewalk, etc.. I decide it would be a good idea to jump up the curb from the street.

Only problem was that when I lifted up on the handle bars they disconnected. This caused me to go tumbling over. I got tangled in the mess of brake cables and metal. My collar bone crashed directly on the corner of the curb.

It was a strange feeling. I knew I took a giant spill but I didn't feel any pain. My friend at the time is now off his bike, literally on the floor laughing. I started to laugh too, until I picked up my bike and instantly collapsed.

It seems when you break your clavical it doesn't hurt until you raise your arm above about shoulder height, in which case the pain become absolutely ridiculous.

So, we walked our bikes back to his house and played SNES until my mom picked me up. At the time I figured I just bruised it.

5 days later the pain was still there so we went to get an x-ray, my clavical had a "hairline star crack". Basically the bone was broken, and it split out in a star pattern.

Long story short, I spend the next 8 weeks or so wearing a bra-like cast. The best part was during this time we had a scoliosis test in junior high. I had to take my shirt off in front of everyone to show this cast. Not cool when you're 14.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:59 AM

My gf and I bought new (matching of course) bikes, mostly for the exercise. The day they came we took a 20 mile or so ride from our apartment to my parents house.

For some reason I needed to run an errand and decided to take the bike.

Going down a long steep hill I wound up going what id guess was 30 mph or so, when I see a car approaching the intersection at the bottom of the hill from the right. I cant slow down fast enough, panic that hes not going to see me and im going to hit him broadside. Gravelly road...I ditch and go down, wearing shorts...and proceed to shred my leg as it did its best imitation of a brake.

We drove the bikes home, and I was tweezing pebbles out of my leg for a week.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My gf and I bought new (matching of course) bikes, mostly for the exercise. The day they came we took a 20 mile or so ride from our apartment to my parents house.

For some reason I needed to run an errand and decided to take the bike.

Going down a long steep hill I wound up going what id guess was 30 mph or so, when I see a car approaching the intersection at the bottom of the hill from the right. I cant slow down fast enough, panic that hes not going to see me and im going to hit him broadside. Gravelly road...I ditch and go down, wearing shorts...and proceed to shred my leg as it did its best imitation of a brake.

We drove the bikes home, and I was tweezing pebbles out of my leg for a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the same thing happen-except I was driving the car and he did hit me (or me him).
He was okay, but messed up knee.
I am glad I am well insured-he was covered.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:15 AM

Final turn of final lap of bike race at portland speedway. Getting ready for sprint when idiot pulls ahead of me and swipes my front tire with his back. Luckily we're in the middle of the turn and I get thrown free and don't get run over by a bunch of people. It happens so fast I don't have time to brace or put my hands up; I hit face first, though helmet is chewed up so it must have taken some of the force.

Last thing I remember is guy pulling in front of me, next thing I know I am STANDING UP looking down at the messed up bike, which seems strange given I was clipped into the pedals.

I have pretty nasty road rash over my arms and face but no serious injuries.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:54 AM

Riding my bike to my friend's house, checking for the local hottie at the time to be out sunbathing (Kathy Farley where are you now??) Chevy blazer runs me down. Broken femur, collar bone, concussion and road rash. Spend the remainder of the summer in traction and started high school on Halloween.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Riding my bike to my friend's house, checking for the local hottie at the time to be out sunbathing (Kathy Farley where are you now??) Chevy blazer runs me down. Broken femur, collar bone, concussion and road rash. Spend the remainder of the summer in traction and started high school on Halloween.

[/ QUOTE ]

You asked for it.
http://abc.eznettools.net/pueblobwn/...thyfarley.html
Old 05-12-2006, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You asked for it.
http://abc.eznettools.net/pueblobwn/...thyfarley.html

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but you should see her in a bikini.