Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Puzzles and Other Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2006, 04:05 PM

Default Re: WW Strategy Part II- Being The Wolf

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for that summary Greekhouse, but the reason we are doing these strategy threads is to help NEW or inexperienced players learn effective strategies for this game.

Telling a new player to "Be a villager" doesnt help someone much who doesnt really know how to even BE a villager. Let alone a wolf.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, but I still think it's an important point. Some people try too hard as wolves to get villagers lynched, while just sitting back as villagers.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:51 PM

Are you guys really serious about the whole strategy of this game? It seems to me likes it's all just random, and any "strategy" discussion is really a castle in the sky; that is, it's just based on the things your coplayers arbitrarily started saying.

Isn't it a foolproof strategy to just post nothing and make your votes randomly? If opening your mouth gives your opponents information to go on, then nobody should do it. But since people do speak up, they obviously think they can do so without giving anything away. So everything is still pretty much random, and the flow of information and disinformation is just to hold the game up into something mildly fun....right?

I know you POGgers take pride in this WW thing, so I apologize if you are offended by my accusations. I'm not intending to flame, just asking a serious question because I really don't understand...maybe I should try playing a game, I guess?

Discuss.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:55 PM

If wolves kept quiet, and villager spokes, it'd be pretty easy to tell who was a wolf wouldn't it? Thus, wolves are FORCED to speak, to blend in.

To new players, everything certainly seems random, but the more you play, the more you understand the subtle parts of the game. I assure you, there is a ton of information passing through a game of WW, and there's little randomness.

You really do have to play to understand. You can't analyze it from the outside, from a purely theoretical point of view.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you guys really serious about the whole strategy of this game? It seems to me likes it's all just random, and any "strategy" discussion is really a castle in the sky; that is, it's just based on the things your coplayers arbitrarily started saying.

Isn't it a foolproof strategy to just post nothing and make your votes randomly? If opening your mouth gives your opponents information to go on, then nobody should do it. But since people do speak up, they obviously think they can do so without giving anything away. So everything is still pretty much random, and the flow of information and disinformation is just to hold the game up into something mildly fun....right?

I know you POGgers take pride in this WW thing, so I apologize if you are offended by my accusations. I'm not intending to flame, just asking a serious question because I really don't understand...maybe I should try playing a game, I guess?

Discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]
With all due respect, someone who hasn't played isn't going to understand it.

Play a few and see. I'm not very good at finding wolves, but once in a while I can get them from post content. And there are a few people who get them fairly consistently (we call those people "traz"), so obviously it's possible.

Also, turbos are different from long games for that stuff.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:02 PM

Actually this is an interesting point. I think many people overestimate their ability to catch someone based on one post or the like. Let's be honest though. Saying nothing aside from voting is a highly effective strategy. I don't do it, because it seems to defeat the purpose to me. I feel much better about being a wolf when I can pull it off while posting frequently.

That being said, your votes can't be random. People will pick up on votes that don't make sense. They will also assign motives to your votes that you may not have if you don't explain them yourself. In the current AS game, Econophile came out with a list of wolves that was nothing like anyone else's list. He didn't really explain why he chose those people and that was one reason he came under more suspicion and was eventually lynched.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:06 PM

metagame:I will vote anyone who says nothing in order to be unreadable
Old 12-04-2006, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's be honest though. Saying nothing aside from voting is a highly effective strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it really depends on the climate of the game. There was a time where we used to lynch all Under-The-Radar posters (UTR)...this shifted game strategy, to where people were scared to be UTR. That brings us to today, where we have relatively few UTR posters...if all of a sudden people tried to be quiet again, the game would reshift, and we'd start voting off UTR posters. Its a circle.

We, as villagers, dictate the trend of the games, and set precedences as to what wolves can and cannot use as strategies.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

we all say this and yet we never do it. it makes being UTR highly attractive, especially in a game with a lot of people. it's a lot less fun though, which is why I didn't really do it
Old 12-04-2006, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-04-2006, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
metagame:I will vote anyone who says nothing in order to be unreadable EXCEPT AMPLIFY

[/ QUOTE ]