Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2006, 07:37 AM

Default Re: England World Cup squad

[ QUOTE ]

a) because he's coming off an injury and b) (and I'll probably get flammed by english posters) he's not a star, he's hugely overrated because he became famous while very young and he's very fast and generally talented.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, Owen would always be my first pick for England. I'm not sure where the viewpoints come from about him not being a star player. He has consistently scored goals throughout his career including scoring against most major nations while playing for England (Argentina, Brazil, Germany, Portugal etc.) and was inexplicably let go by Real Madrid after bagging a lot of goals even though mainly starting from the bench. I think the fact that he has a very low-key media profile (unlike Beckham for example) means that he sometimes does not receive deserved recognition.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

a) because he's coming off an injury and b) (and I'll probably get flammed by english posters) he's not a star, he's hugely overrated because he became famous while very young and he's very fast and generally talented.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, Owen would always be my first pick for England. I'm not sure where the viewpoints come from about him not being a star player. He has consistently scored goals throughout his career including scoring against most major nations while playing for England (Argentina, Brazil, Germany, Portugal etc.) and was inexplicably let go by Real Madrid after bagging a lot of goals even though mainly starting from the bench. I think the fact that he has a very low-key media profile (unlike Beckham for example) means that he sometimes does not receive deserved recognition.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd just like to clarify that when I think of a "start" striker, I think Shevchenko, Henry, Ronaldo, Adriano, etc. I don't think he belongs in that sort of list.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How can Sven lack imagination when he has picked Theo Walcot?

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the first time that he has done anything remotely out of his comfortable norm in his reign, and he picked the wrong time to do it
Old 05-10-2006, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd just like to clarify that when I think of a "start" striker, I think Shevchenko, Henry, Ronaldo, Adriano, etc. I don't think he belongs in that sort of list.

[/ QUOTE ]

he was second in madrid goals behind Ronaldo when he was there, and we all know how much time he actually started and got off the bench. Your argument is rather flawed if those are the only strikers that you consider "must start" players, since so few players can live up to that level
Old 05-10-2006, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he was second in madrid goals behind Ronaldo when he was there, and we all know how much time he actually started and got off the bench. Your argument is rather flawed if those are the only strikers that you consider "must start" players, since so few players can live up to that level

[/ QUOTE ]

that was a typo, start = star (wich was the original discussion). Also, those aren't the only stars imo, it's just a couple of examples.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:01 PM

Owen does nothing all match then he scores. He made a rod for his own back with that goal against Argentina the only goal I can remember him scoring which he made for him self. He might not have the pace he did and he might be permanently injured but who would you prefer a half chance in the box to fall to?
Old 05-10-2006, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Owen does nothing all match then he scores. He made a rod for his own back with that goal against Argentina the only goal I can remember him scoring which he made for him self. He might not have the pace he did and he might be permanently injured but who would you prefer a half chance in the box to fall to?

[/ QUOTE ]

this is what makes owen so great IMO. He is much like Lineker like that. If you aren't paying full attention to him and he gets even a small chance, he's going to make you pay for it. He's not really flashy, but he always gets the job done. I really don't know how much more you can ask from a striker
Old 05-11-2006, 12:58 AM

Sven has nothing to lose b/c he is a lame duck and he knows that. He knows without Rooney England are in big trouble. He has gone insane and picked Theo Walcott who he has never watched play, but we all know this guy will be a great player. England are going to play Crouch and Owen up front and hope that the midfield can control the matches. Sven has to take chances and he knows Bent and Defoe are both good, but they are not world class and will never be. Are they better than Walcott right now? Duh on paper. But Sven knows Walcott has amazing talent and no questions that and he is willing to GAMBOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLL on him because he believes he might somehow be able to do magical things. England are rock solid in defence and midfield however, so they have a chance of winning it all even without Rooney, but losing him is a terrible loss b/c he is one of the top 5 strikers in the world.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:59 AM

Theo as named, is our fourth frontman and its highly likely he wont play at all in the world cup. While Bent can feel hard done by(i think he was the top scoring englishman in the prem) he looked rather clueless in the one game hes played, i do feel he should be on the standby list, it seems really strange that AJ is and hasnt been meantioned much in the build up to the squad.

The people take are talking about Owen not being a great frontman, he will probably retire being the highest scoring englishman and when you look back at who the main players were in your day he'll be one of the first names you meantion...

I agree with the poster that said either JJ or OH, my choice being Owen H since he can also play right back and gives us an attacking option here. He also offers good cover is most positions which gets my vote.

Something to throw into consideration, take Teddy instead of JJ? He may be knocking on but his vision and touch would be a great benefit in trying to unlock def in the later stages. I really cant see most teams having problems with PC when were pumping the ball up trying to get a goal. Also hes by far a better header the Crouch.