Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2006, 08:06 PM

Default Re: Blink (a book)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As you play and work with SnGPT, your brain is learning. In fact, your brain is picking up information that you aren't even aware of. Your opponent may take an extra 25 milliseconds to bet. Your conscious mind probably won't even notice, but your unconscious mind may have picked this up and is somehow incorporating it in its decision making process.

[/ QUOTE ]

this might be an INCREDIBLY idiotic question, but how do you guys (and girls) think that this SNGpt inherent learning compares to the knowledge one might subconsciously soak in through studying the HHs and opinions people post on this forum? (essentially how do you think learning through SNGpt vs learning through the actual forum compares, if one is more valuable than the other for your brain in this manner, etc...). I also ask for sake of the brain soaking in #s/%'s vs soaking in opinions and written explanation. thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think everyone learns differently. Some people are very math oriented and love looking at formulas and numbers. Others prefer to learn the concepts behind the math. Whatever works for you.

I think the forum is good at focusing on the borderline cases. Rather than wading through dozens of you own hands in SngPt where most are obvious, you can come here and see discussions of only the hands on the borderline. We might discuss pushing 55 UTG on the bubble. It doesn't matter who wins the debate over 55.....when you get dealt 88, you'll know what to do. When you are dealt 55, it's probably so close that it barely matters what you do.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:25 PM

Default Re: Blink (a book)

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing I would mention, is that also can be part of the problem. I have ADHD, and if the meds are wrong, or I stop taking them, or for no rerason at all sometimes, my "inner mind" so to speak, tell's me to take the overly aggressive route every time. It's the truely inconcistant part of my game, and very difficult to overcome, because it is all subcontious.

I basicaly see it as a very subtle anoying form of tilt. Unfortunately it's not really tied to anything, so I don't know it's happening till I do something really stupid, and notice myself doing it. For a long time I didnt even know it then, but I've learned over time to recognize it, and somewhat control it. Fortunatly in poker aggression is good, so you can still win being an over aggressive dork, but you can't win as much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this happens to a lot of players. I know it does to me. Your aggression keeps getting rewarded with good results, so "aggression is good" keeps getting reinforced and you become more aggressive.

You see the same thing with golfers. All great players are constantly making adjustments to their swing. You would think Vijay Singh would learn a swing, and then just swing that way for 20 years. In reality, he is constantly adjusting because his unconscious brain is constantly adjusting whether he wants to or not.

Since his swing is almost perfect already, most of the unconscious adjustments are probably for the worse, and will require a conscious readjustment. A great poker player probably goes through the same thing.