Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2006, 02:34 AM

Default Re: But Tomorrow is Another Day

How about she wins on the women's tour before she wins on the men's tour. She has not earned the right to play in men's tourneys yet.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:11 AM

What is this "earning the right" you speak of?

Tiger played his first PGA tournament right after he won a junior amateur, he had no chance to compete. It was on a home course. Letting someone like Tiger or Ryan Moore play on sponsors exemptoins after they declare pro is one thing, but letting a 16 year old tee it up will always be about the novelty, about bringing in the ratings and drawing spectators.

Michele has earned the right to play as much as anyone else becaues she brings in money for the sponsors. People are enamored with her length, but she can also stiff a shot on a long par 3 hole. She has the ability to be competitive as evidenced by yesterday's round.

Annika hasn't earned a right any more than Michele has. She hasn't gone through Q school, the LPGA tour is not the Nationwide tour. If she was invited to play PGA events it would be about the novelty of a woman playing, not because she had fullfilled some kind of qualification.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:34 PM

I agree with BadBoyBenny. Sponsor's exemptions are specifically designed for players who haven't "earned" their way in.
Old 01-14-2006, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
68 today. Only five men shot lower.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice round. Doesn't prove a lot, but shows something at least I guess. I also think it may show a disturbing trend for her. Michelle has looked a lot better when expectations are low. As an amateur she could freewheel when she was 14 or 15 and any results were gravy. Now results are expected. When the heat is on she doesn't always deliver. At least yet. She blew up the last day of the women's open last year. She has not won on the LPGA tour yet, and she does have high finishes out there. Seems like she shoots better after putting herself in a hole. But I didn't go back to get her nationwide scores and I don't remember exactly how she missed the cut in her other events. Anyway, this is what I mean by saying she may win less on the LPGA tour than people think. Expectations are high for her and she is an emotionally immature 16 year old. This year lets say she is in the last couple groups at the dinah shore nabisco thing that bent -er, clarified-the rules to let her in this year. She get to try to beat Annika, Paula Creamer, and some other experienced player. She has a rules dispute. A players girlfriend calls her a bitch, a gallery member takes a picture in her backswing. What does she shoot? We will see. Ideally she proves me wrong, but I see her career being more of a struggle than people think it will be. She will win on the LPGA tour, she is too good not to win some out there. But she has set expectaions so high, and taken the cash for it, that I doubt she will live up to expectations.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:47 AM

Default Re: Wie Already Over Par

How the hell did she get in this event anyway - sponsor's exemption? I'm glad to see her miss the cut - it makes her and Sony look foolish. Hopefully, she will stay on the women's tour.

Golf has always been about players being rewarded proportionally to how they play - unlike most other sports with contracts. Letting these women play on the men's tour flies in the face of that concept. Hopefully, Wie will not be given the special treatment in the future.