Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2006, 04:11 PM

Default Re: Biceps

[ QUOTE ]
learning how to do deadlifts properly would be very beneficial

there is no more involved compound excercise that hits your upper body and lower body together (very much including biceps)

[/ QUOTE ]

What about power cleans?
Old 04-29-2006, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5. Do some leg work.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not legwork you need. As Blarg said, what you need are the big complex exercises like squats and deadlifts that work the large muscle groups. These lifts will tax your nervous system and increase your testosterone levels. These exercises alone will probably grow your arms more than doing a lot of curls.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

General question: I would quite like them. How do I get them?

Specific question: Should I lift every day or take breaks?

Specific question 2: Should I take supplements of any kind?

Background: I have been going to the gym every day, and doing work on the chest-press, pull-downs, bicep curls using dumbells (15kg, 5 reps each arm, 3 sets each arm), and curls using weights on the bar (similar sort of weights and reps). Also cardio (bike). Just 2 months so far.

Not enough progress for my liking though.

Thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 04-29-2006, 07:17 PM

I bet you're one of those frat-guy types that stands in front of the mirror doing curls for an hour straight.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet you're one of those frat-guy types that stands in front of the mirror doing curls for an hour straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

er, more like 10 minutes and then i think " i can't take it anymore!!"

but close : )
Old 04-29-2006, 07:38 PM

A good overall workout is the Lat pull-down. I think that's what it's called. Where you sit on a bench and pull a bar down behind your neck.

This exercise gets your upper back, shoulders, and I believe your bi's all in one motion. Also, this for me is the easiest exercise to do. For whatever reason. I find it easy to have perfect form, and it's smooth.

Having a strong upper back is very under-rated IMO. Having strong arms and shoulders is great, but if your upper back isn't very strong, it isn't going to pay much dividends.

As far as working your bi's...like someone else said, WORK YOUR TRI's. I was taught that the tri's make up 2/3 of the arm size, and so you cannot neglect them. The exercises for the tri's kind of suck though. They aren't too fun. It is also difficult to get quality form down on any Tri exercise. But definitely don't neglect them.

The bi's should be easy...barbell curls...or dumbell curls..etc.

Try to work your forearms too. I'm in baseball season right now so I want to have strong wrists/forearms. I've been concentrating on them a lot lately. Rows help the forearms. So does grabbing dumbbells and holding them at your side and simply using your wrists to lift them, which concentrates the forearm. It isolates the muscle really well.

Good luck. When you get to the point where your upper arms are thicker than your calves...you might want to add leg exercises.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:41 PM

Pull-ups would be good.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Good luck. When you get to the point where your upper arms are thicker than your calves...you might want to add leg exercises.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] txs man will bear that in mind

have been doing quite a few lat pull downs actually - i like this as well
Old 04-29-2006, 08:20 PM

I love them for the stretch they give to the spine if you're doing them right, and they can definitely put on some strength and the kind of mass that gives your back that "V" shape pretty easily.

For pure strength, though, it's hard to beat the pull-up. Not many people can do a whole lot of pull-ups, and if you do them, you get the back and biceps at the same time.

Generally I'm a big fan of compound exercises like that. They help build the kind of coordinated strength that is much more useful in sports and real life than having your muscles all out of sync with each other because some are much larger or stronger than others in the same chain. If you never did any weight lifting besides a full-body exercise like the bench press, snatch, clean and jerk, or military press; a pull like the pull-up; and a leg/lower back exercise like the squat or deadlift, you'd probably never regret it as far as functional strength goes, and you could still put on huge amounts of mass if you ate and took care of yourself properly.

Few people really need isolation exercises or get anything more out of them than they would just by doing compound exercises with heavy weight.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If, for whatever reason, you JUST want biceps (don't care about legs, back, etc.) then simply do some heavy compound exercises like bench press mixed with various curling movements.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want huge biceps, do curls every other day. Please work only your biceps for a few months and the post a picture.

Whatever you do, do not bench press. Bench press does not work your biceps and would defeat the purpose.