Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 01:12 AM

Default Re: Fair way to split rent -- roommate moving in earlier than me

the fair thing is for you guys to work it out like human beings instead of asking OOT to help you with your retarded life problems
Old 07-18-2007, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
here's another thing to think about: do you really want your roommate to have a bone to pick with you before you even move in?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good replies so far. We have no bad blood and I haven't sat him down yet to say "look lets figure this out." Mostly because I didn't know where I stood and wanted to make sure that my intuition (that it wasn't a clear-cut situation) wasn't way off.

We aren't friends so much as classmates but plan to hang out together and network/meet people through each other (we work in different places).

Paying half of my share, or 25% of the total rent, seems like an appropriate resolution. Will have discussion and see what happens.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:26 AM

Don't be a nit. Pay half the damn rent. You didn't work out a payment agreement for the first month before signing the lease so unless your roommate offers a discount pay your half.

If you are really that concerned over this just wait until the real fun begins and you wanna kill each other.

-Brendan
Old 07-18-2007, 01:49 AM

I don't know what to do and I'm always in the dark. We're living in a powder keg and giving off sparks. I really need you tonight. Forever's gonna start tonight. Forever's gonna start tonight.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what to do and I'm always in the dark. We're living in a powder keg and giving off sparks. I really need you tonight. Forever's gonna start tonight. Forever's gonna start tonight.

[/ QUOTE ]

nice
Old 07-18-2007, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't be a nit. Pay half the damn rent. You didn't work out a payment agreement for the first month before signing the lease so unless your roommate offers a discount pay your half.

[/ QUOTE ]

"You didn't work out a payment" blah blah can easily be applied to him as well. Both of us knew that it was an issue and coming up but didn't agree on it before signing a lease. I'm no more at fault than he is, and I'm no more responsible for that half month of rent than he is.

Honestly, if roles were reversed, I wouldn't expect him to pay the full rent for the month that he's not there at the beginning.

--Update--

Just had a pretty heated debate. He pretty much flat-out refused to even split the difference, citing arguments that applied to me just as easily as him. E.g. "I'm getting screwed over because I started a month early" (corollary is that I'm getting screwed over for starting a month late). Or "I'm paying for 12.5 months of rent and getting 12" (corollary is that I'm paying for 11.5 months of rent and getting 11). Etc etc.

We're going to sublet for a month at a reduced rate to jack up the odds that someone takes up on it, then split the difference on the remaining fraction of the rent to be paid.

Fun.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:29 AM

just move out to SF a month earlier.

problem solved
Old 07-18-2007, 04:23 AM

.... half.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:40 AM

you pay half , but clarify that he is 100% responsible for any utilities or other expenses incurred during his month prior to your arrival.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you pay your half , but clarify that he is 100% responsible for any utilities or other expenses incurred during his month prior to your arrival.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously.

You guys signed the lease with the expectation that each person would be paying half the rent for each month covered in the lease. Simple as that.