Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 02:32 AM

Default Re: Express lane Discrimination?

[ QUOTE ]
The inner city economy is basically designed to keep poor people poor.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-05-2007, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
thanks for the egalitarian pov napoleon

[/ QUOTE ]
Any chance of you translating this post so I actually understand it? I have a feeling this is one of the rare cases where a history major would pay off.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm saying you came across as arrogant and elitist and completely out of touch with reality.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh. Thanks for clearing that up.

Sorry, it's just my experience that people reliant on public assistance to make ends meet suck at a much higher rate than the general population. They don't all suck, but it's a safe bet - much like driving behind someone with a handicapped sticker or a Jesus fish will get you nowhere fast.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, it's just my experience that people reliant on public assistance to make ends meet suck at a much higher rate than the general population. They don't all suck, but it's a safe bet - much like driving behind someone with a handicapped sticker or a Jesus fish will get you nowhere fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

This might get me banned, but it sort of has to be said anyway. You've turned into a really huge tool since becoming a mod. This post is ridiculous. It's like saying "in my experience, black people are a lot more likely to commit crimes than white people, or Jews are a lot more likely to stiff waiters on their tips" or any other obvious bigotry. If you seriously believe this you are hopeless out of touch. I also would be very curious to know what "your experience" constitutes, because it seems like you probably live (and have lived) in pretty much middle to upper-middle class areas your entire life.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
tuq,

you are wrong, and also dumb if you really think this. 'we' foot the bill for mortgage deductions on rich peoples' houses, defense contracts and social security much more than any public welfare program.

yes, a lot of poor people from the inner city have skill deficits related to their low socioeconomic status. they also face discriminatory treatment from basically every financial market available to them, as well as having to pay more for the same goods that people buy in better neighborhoods even though cost of living and doing business is much higher there. between this, the public school system and welfare, the inner city economy is basically designed to keep poor people poor.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm tempted to be a smartass here, but I'll defer to your clearly more educated take on this matter, as I get panhandled about twice per year and it's been at least a decade since I saw anyone pay for something with food stamps. Plus because the poor people are somewhere else it's possible I am apathetic (as well as uneducated on the matter). But drive out to a West Phoenix DMV sometime and look at all the pretty 19-year-old girls with two year old kids and tell me it doesn't make you go hmmmm.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, hating individuals for just trying to get their family by has gotta be instant damnation (if there is a god).

[/ QUOTE ]
Luckily for ed there isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're like a bunny with these massive claws but you don't realize you have these massive claws....

J
Old 10-05-2007, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This might get me banned, but it sort of has to be said anyway. You've turned into a really huge tool since becoming a mod. This post is ridiculous. It's like saying "in my experience, black people are a lot more likely to commit crimes than white people, or Jews are a lot more likely to stiff waiters on their tips" or any other obvious bigotry. If you seriously believe this you are hopeless out of touch. I also would be very curious to know what "your experience" constitutes, because it seems like you probably live (and have lived) in pretty much middle to upper-middle class areas your entire life.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL, settle down. Nobody's getting banned, WTF. And guess what? If you go looking for something you're likely you convince yourself that you've found it. I haven't changed as a poster since becoming a mod but that is one of those things that people look for with a jaundiced eye. Much like my experience (with apparently a much smaller "sample size", as you poker whippersnappers like to say) with poor people has been that they suck more than average. We are constantly convincing ourselves that we're right about something and looking for evidence with which to validate our opinion.

Fine, I am not remotely an expert on this topic as has been demonstrated in this thread, but you're the one calling another poster names.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, hating individuals for just trying to get their family by has gotta be instant damnation (if there is a god).

[/ QUOTE ]
Luckily for ed there isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're like a bunny with these massive claws but you don't realize you have these massive claws....

J

[/ QUOTE ]
Phillies in five LDO.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:46 AM

edit: forget it
Old 10-05-2007, 02:46 AM

tuq,

even as a social worker, my clients' shortcomings still baffle and infuriate me at times. there is really nothing unusual about that, and it's not very productive for me or anyone else to scold you for being ignorant.

it's very easy for those of us who come from better circumstances not to know some of the ins-and-outs of urban poverty. i would consider myself pretty sympathetic to the poor based on upbringing, education and general disposition, and when i started going through some of the policies and numbers even i was surprised by a great deal of it.

not acknowledging skill deficits among disadvantaged populations - blaming adverse outcomes entirely on the system - is pretty patronizing and simplistic. probably about as simplistic as taking a deterministic stance like the one in your previous post.

there are a lot of obstacles facing poor people, especially poor people of color in the inner city. some of those obstacles are ecological, coming from their own communities, or their own families. issues like culture of poverty, family conflict and poor mental health all have a cumulative effect spanning generations, and people blame them on either individuals or systems based mostly on their political preferences. the truth is that both are at work.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:47 AM

How did you ban diebitter from the quiet zone?