Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 07:36 PM

Default Re: Can the WSOP Save Bluff Magazine?

My own experience with Bluff Magazine has made me respect their dignity, courtesy, and professionalism. I sent them a query letter about a few article ideas similar to the Poker History series I have posted here. They answered quickly and told me what they wanted. I have submitted two articles and hope they will be in the next two issues of Bluff Magazine. I have written Card Player numberous times and they never answer. I have written for Texas Monthly a couple of times. I write them and they do not answer. Bluff runs their operation as if they were writer-friendly professionals. Card Player tells you the excruiating details of certain pros lives..who had a milkshake or a haircut or missed one flush draw. If Bluff publishes three articles of mine, I'll get a Bluff tattoo.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:46 PM

Bluff has comped me booze. Cardplayer never has.

Bluff4life yo
Old 03-19-2007, 08:02 PM

Cardplayer is a waste of trees. I won't even read the POS "magazine" when I'm board out of my mind waiting for a seat. Bluff isn't exactly enthralling but at least it has some redeeming entertainment value. I will skim through the rag when waiting for a seat. Sometimes I even enjoy an article or two.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cardplayer is the only QUALITY magazine out there. You can actually learn more and improve your game by reading it. Can the same be said for Bluff or All-In? I think not.

[/ QUOTE ]

don't read much of All-In but my opinions of Cardplayer and Bluff are pretty much the opposite of yours.

hope they all survive though.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:15 PM

Johnny Hughes:

[ QUOTE ]
I may have an article in the next Bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

sweet!
Old 03-20-2007, 09:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My issue with CP is that it seems to focus mainly on tournaments...lately I've found Bluff to have some pretty decent articles about cash games...there is room for both hopefully.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hope both survive. Having them on newsstands keeps the game in front of the public. A few years ago, bodybuilding was the rage and there were as many mags on it as there have been during the poker boom. A few still survive. I hope the same will happen for Bluff and CP.

A few more non-poker advertisers would help.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:03 PM

Given the perceived youth trend of poker players and the addictive personality traits of many gamblers, I think these poker magazines are a natural fit for alcohol-related ads as well as pay-per-view fights (boxing, WWE, UFC, etc.)

And do more than 20 or 30 magazines actually make money on newsstand sales?
Old 03-20-2007, 03:23 PM

CP and Bluff are both better than All-in. I don't even read that one anymore. I just bring it to the cardroom and leave it in the lobby for someone else to read. Can't wait for my All-in subscription to end...
Old 03-20-2007, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given the perceived youth trend of poker players and the addictive personality traits of many gamblers, I think these poker magazines are a natural fit for alcohol-related ads as well as pay-per-view fights (boxing, WWE, UFC , etc.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good observation. By July of this year, Bluff will actually have it's 3rd magazine hit the news stands. You can go to any Barnes & Noble, etc and already see ------ (i don't want to get banned for spamming). A 3rd mag will come out this summer.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:50 PM

Default Will the loss of the WSOP rights sink CardPlayer?

The converse query could be posed with equal idiocy.

Personally, I want to see how little coverage CardPlayer can bring itself to give to the WSOP this year.

I wish Bluff well.