Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2006, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Will B&M cardrooms ever use a four color deck?

[ QUOTE ]
I can tell you, in another context -- bridge clubs -- there have been several attempts over the years to introduce four-colour card decks, and to introduce non-standard symbols (so that cards look exactly the same right-side-up and up-side-down, instead of the heart, spade, and club pips in the centers of the odd-numbered cards being usable to signal) ... so far every one has been a miserable failure.

If you want to try it, a certain prominent member of the World Bridge Federation's executive committee invested heavily in such a venture and probably has several thousand decks he could sell you cheap

[/ QUOTE ]

I can guarantee with 100% certainty that bridge players everywhere's would revolt at any change to their game. Years ago I decided to learn how to play tournament bridge and if we think some poker players can be nits, well you haven't seen anything like a room full of bridge players. God forbid you make a move with your head or legs that someone doesn't like.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:38 PM

I'm not old or afraid of change and I can't stand 4 color decks. I tried it out online and found it really distracting. The clashing colors drew too much attention to themselves and it actually made it harder to read boards at a glance while multitabling. This might not be the case on a single b&m table, but I've also never ever misread a flush, so why change?
Old 12-08-2006, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It wouldn't help color blind players much but having each suit being a different sized card would be great for them. It might be difficult for the auto-shuffling devices though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that would make it easy to see if someone made the flush!!

Look, 3 medium sized cards on the board and 2 in his hand, I'd best not bet now.

Though, I guess you were joking.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It wouldn't help color blind players much but having each suit being a different sized card would be great for them. It might be difficult for the auto-shuffling devices though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look, 3 medium sized cards on the board and 2 in his hand, I'd best not bet now.

[/ QUOTE ]

He'll claim he was...
Old 12-08-2006, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe the cards should be shaped like their actual suit. So diamonds are shaped like a diamond, hearts like hearts, etc.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe the cards should be shaped like their actual suit. So diamonds are shaped like a diamond, hearts like hearts, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an even better idea!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2006, 07:07 PM

to people who think having only 2 colours is better than 4, i guess your ideal would be to only have 1 colour? cards would be cheaper to make, it would make card flashes even harder to pick up, etc.

but, despite the logical conclusion of the 2-colour contingent being a 1-colour deck, no one would actually want that.

the reality is that 4 colour is better, but people are just averse to change.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
to people who think having only 2 colours is better than 4, i guess your ideal would be to only have 1 colour? cards would be cheaper to make, it would make card flashes even harder to pick up, etc.

but, despite the logical conclusion of the 2-colour contingent being a 1-colour deck, no one would actually want that.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no good reason why 4 colors are better than 2 colors for a deck of cards. Additional colors add complexity although some will argue that it reduces complexity as well but at its very best it is a wash and so there's no reason why things need to be changed.

I've played live for decades and in all that time I can count on the fingers of 2 hands how many times I've seen someone misread a flush and I don't think I have ever done that. I have played with 4 color decks and with large print decks and I can say that I don't care for them since it goes against my "muscle memory" and requires me to think a bit more about each hand - something that over the course of a long session will cause me to slip just that little bit extra. So my answer would be: if it ain't broke then don't fix it.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

cannot take this post seriously as you spell color with a "u"
Old 12-08-2006, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
cons: not widely available currently, not traditional
pros: much easier to follow, no misreading suits

cons > pros

[/ QUOTE ]

There are at least two manufacturers of quality all-plastic 4-color cards. Copag and Modiano. See the bottom of this link for side-by-side pictures.
http://forums.homepokertourney.com/i...p?topic=6290.0