Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2007, 06:15 PM

Default Re: The Universal Appeal of El Diablo

S,

My real life personality is very much like my online one, except I'm much less of a dick because I tend to avoid people who irritate me rather than get involved in stupid arguments like I do here. In a lot of ways, my online persona here is like a caricature of me in real life with lots of parts hyper-exaggerated. I also use this place to vent a lot, which reduces my stress IRL.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:18 PM

All,

I'm gonna lock this soon unless it expands into a broader discussion of online communities beyond simply restating how much I rule.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But the reason I like the El Diablo *forum* is that it doesn't (ordinarily) have threads like this.

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason I like The El Diablo forum is because we can have this discussion without anybody accusing people of being gay (oops) or talking about Diablo's [censored].

The thing that makes 2p2 slightly unquire in terms of poster status is that it's a competative thing where you can somewhat objectively measure results.

Rather than just being founded on reputation and a cult of personality, respected posters get respect because they are very good poker players. It's much harder to keep score on say, a hip-hop forum. Folks like Schneids have a somewhat implied gravitas when they speak that has very little to do with how good they post (although Schneids does post good).
Old 03-05-2007, 06:51 PM

El D,

I think it would be in your best interests to start hiring interns from the annals uNL/The Dorm to mentor into millionaire, awesome, super neat people.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rather than just being founded on reputation and a cult of personality, respected posters get respect because they are very good poker players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dids/Anyone,

Do you think this holds true now as much as it did a couple of years ago? I personally don't play much poker anymore, and hardly ever read the strat forums. That's not to say I was ever a good poster there (I wasn't), I'm just pointing out that the "community" of 2+2 keeps people around sometimes even when the poker does not. I doubt I'm the only one this applies to.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:02 PM

James,

It doesn't in the same way it did 3 years ago, obviously. However, I think it's important in understanding part of why El D is perceived the way he is.

I'm trying to think of OT posters that I really dig that were never active strat posters, and it's not coming that easy.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:02 PM

Im fairly positive good strat. posters get some breaks and slack where other posters dont. And thats a good thing. This is a poker site after all.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:04 PM

I think this thread has potential. I have been a part of 2 other forums to about the same extent that I have been a part of 2p2. Im mostly a daily lurker who posts once in awhile. Both of the other forums that I was a part of had an "El Diablo" type of poster. The difference is that the El Diablo from 2p2 is real. I feel like he is who he portrays on 2p2. At the other forums I felt like those guys who were playing the role of 'El Diablo'were just putting up an act, because they were lacking IRL. Of course these are just my observations from a small sample size.

However I will admit I'm a fan of the masked man. Even though we had our feud back in the day, which was mostly due to my instigating. He is an icon, a legend, a man and not a myth. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2007, 07:11 PM

I'm wondering whether since 2+2 isn't just a poker site, but a site that stresses a statistically sound approach to cards, whether there are a higher percentage of people here that place a high value on logic and reason than other places on the internet. I'm continually amazed by the incredibly sharp people around here, that can't be true about other message boards, can it?

I think it's that general respect that I have for a lot of posters here that makes being a part of the community worthwhile.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:31 PM

Dids/JB/etc,

The poker part of 2+2 is still significant in this stuff because there's a big area here where superior logic, reasoning, and intelligence can be displayed in pretty objective discussions with a bunch of experts in the field. It's tough for dumbfks to maintain respect in the strat forums for very long. And the effect of having lots of top players in the strat forums respect your posting carries over to other forums here.