Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 01:15 PM

Default Re: KQo in BB--standard action?

Hand 1: Definite fold. I think this shove smells like two-pair, trying to take it down there or making you over-pay to draw to your flush. Not even a close decision since its so early and you're so deep.

Hand 2: I'd probably just call, letting the SB behind you over-call. If the flop brings undercards and he has JJ-AA, the money is going in anyway. If an A hits, you can probaly get away from it.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:15 PM

my votes are for a no-hesitation fold in hand 1 and shove and deal with losing to AA in hand 2.

No reason to gamble even on a draw read in hand 1. And hand 2... what are you gonna do? You still have 2 outs if the worst case scenario hand does show.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:50 PM

Well if villian in hand 1 is passive like you say he is, then it's a fold imo. I think passives tend to be particularly scared of elimination as opposed to risking elimination, and they mistakenly bet too heavy with a made hand on a scary board because they'd rather avoid trouble than play poker. If a passive had A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], imo he's more likely to make a donk minimum bet, or check and hope you either check along or make a small bet that he can call.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:55 PM

Hand 1 is tough. If it wasn't blind v. blind I'd fold without too much thought, but there's quite a few hands he could have here. Could easily be a single diamond. However, it could also be 2 pair (I think a set is pretty unlikely...wouldn't he raise any of those pairs PF?) or maybe even a spooked baby flush. I'd probably fold, but I think it's closer than it would be normally because of the blind v. blind element. Things pushing me slightly towards folding are villain relative postflop passiveness and the pretty awful pot odds. When we're behind we're way behind, and when we're ahead we're slightly ahead. Our pot odds are like 1.1 to 1, so unless we really think he'd do this with TP hands worse than ours, he needs to be drawing something crazy like 75 or 80% of the time, which I think is a totally unreasonable assumption. If we think he'd do this with KJ KT K8 no d hands it would help a great deal, but I really think this is a fold.

I'm going to abstain from hand 2. I'd be willing to bet if you search subjects for KK PF (or KK preflop or whatever) you can find every possible KK situation ever imagined in previous posts.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:49 PM

val...I understand you wanting to get it in if you think you're best in hand one but you never actually proposed a range the SB may have besides a big diamond...What hands do you think he may have that call pre OOP and open push?
Old 08-03-2007, 03:48 PM

My guess is the nut flush draw, maybe he has a 9 or 7 maybe he doesnt, its not very relevant( difference is 54% equity to 49% equity).
The thing that scare us is two pair. We have 25% pot equity against two pair.
Against draws Ill come up with a guess of 51% pot equity
Against a worse king( that doesnt have a diamond kicker) we have an equity 83%.
Im not good enough to put an exact range of the frequency we see each type of hand ,however my instinct says call.

If draws are 8 times more likely than two pair its a call.