Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2006, 03:35 PM

Default Re: Ask deadbody About managing a bank in the Ghetto

[ QUOTE ]
OK, the Ask threads are interesting, and since I have some experience in this matter, I thought it would interest people.

I was the Senior Assistant Branch Manager for a financial institution in MN that has many supermarket branches. I worked in the heart of the ghetto for my last year and a half there. I have been accused of racism, and called cracker more times than I care to remember, along with seeing a fight break out (posted on here a long time ago on a Fight trip report thread, someone with better search skillz can probably find it) and watching the off-duty cops threaten to "Take off this gun belt and beat your ass." to the criminals in my branch.

Any questions about Checking or savings accounts (no lending at my branch), or bank policies people have, send 'em this way. Work is slow today and I'm feeling like I could maybe contribute something here. I am no longer in banking as I spent the summer playing frisbee golf and donating plasma after the bank fired me for a very trumped up reason, and I left the field about 2 years ago.

Start 'em coming, I have 4.5 hours left at work, and god forbid that I use it wisely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this branch right across from a police station?
Old 12-13-2006, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OK, the Ask threads are interesting, and since I have some experience in this matter, I thought it would interest people.

I was the Senior Assistant Branch Manager for a financial institution in MN that has many supermarket branches. I worked in the heart of the ghetto for my last year and a half there. I have been accused of racism, and called cracker more times than I care to remember, along with seeing a fight break out (posted on here a long time ago on a Fight trip report thread, someone with better search skillz can probably find it) and watching the off-duty cops threaten to "Take off this gun belt and beat your ass." to the criminals in my branch.

Any questions about Checking or savings accounts (no lending at my branch), or bank policies people have, send 'em this way. Work is slow today and I'm feeling like I could maybe contribute something here. I am no longer in banking as I spent the summer playing frisbee golf and donating plasma after the bank fired me for a very trumped up reason, and I left the field about 2 years ago.

Start 'em coming, I have 4.5 hours left at work, and god forbid that I use it wisely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this branch right across from a police station?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's in a cub foods now across the parking lot from a Walmart that used to be a Kmart
Old 12-13-2006, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It isn't 'Ghetto' if the bank doesn't have the tellers behind bullet-proof glass. Did you have these?

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason, I don't see any bulletproof glass banks anymore. The last bank I saw that had them was one in a upper middle class neighborhood in Maryland. I even lived in, been to some rough neighborhoods since then and none have the glass.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It isn't 'Ghetto' if the bank doesn't have the tellers behind bullet-proof glass. Did you have these?

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason, I don't see any bulletproof glass banks anymore. The last bank I saw that had them was one in a upper middle class neighborhood in Maryland. I even lived in, been to some rough neighborhoods since then and none have the glass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably because the staff is told to comply with the robbers every request. No need for bullet proof glass if you are gonna do whatever the robber asks anyways, gives them no reason to shoot you, and disturbs the customers who think the bank may not be safe because the need the glass.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:18 PM

Im in Chexsystems. What's the best way for me to get some sort of bank account?
Old 12-13-2006, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im in Chexsystems. What's the best way for me to get some sort of bank account?

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as you aren't listed as owing money you should be able to get an account somewhere. If chexsystems says you owe a bank money you can't.

Call the banks in your area, tell them that you are on Chexsystems and ask what their policy is for opening accounts with that knowledge. My bank was after 1 year (from your last report) you could open an account.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How much money did the bank make?

How much did you and the tellers make?

How could a person like yourself embezzle funds?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-13-2006, 05:35 PM

There are black people in Minnesota?
Old 12-13-2006, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How much money did the bank make?

How much did you and the tellers make?

How could a person like yourself embezzle funds?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The bank makes millions a year, my branch was showing a profit per day of a few hundred bucks.

I made about $30k my last year there, the branch manager made about $40k (supermarket branch with no lending, full branch managers make more)
Tellers made $8-10 per hour plus incentives for opening accounts.

I shall not speak of embezzlement because it would be next to impossible (I fired 2 different employees for theft), however if you ask the FBI most bank robbers get caught because they continue to do it. Rob only a couple a year, in different parts of the country and you could get away with it for a long time.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are black people in Minnesota?

[/ QUOTE ]

We bus them in to show how liberal we are. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Actually MN has one of the highest concentration of hmong and somali immigrants in the nation.