Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2007, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Genral tipping advice in LV

[ QUOTE ]

Stevie, don't tap the troll cage.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear ya. 1C5's question warranted an answer with respect to general practice. Should have left it at that without editorializing.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:48 PM

usualy if u get drunk enough 100 buck tip for every stranger you see who looks like they might be doing some sort of work is probably a solid manuver.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:56 AM

One I didn't see mentioned was tipping Housekeeping. Always leave a tip for the people who clean your room. They probably deserve it the most too.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
fantastic Stevie, I'm adding this to the greatest threads FAQ! I'm sure this thread will be looked back on for a long time as a great guide.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love the fact that within a day after he made this post there were at least 2 new tipping threads started. Nice job.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:53 AM

Location: just a skinny azzzed short stacking gossip hurling trouble maker

Hotel Front Desk Person - 20$, Ask for an upgrade

depending on the hotel expect anything from a strip view to a suite, make it 50 at the best places and get something high end
Old 04-29-2007, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hotel Front Desk Person - 20$, Ask for an upgrade

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone have any experience of this working?
Old 04-29-2007, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One I didn't see mentioned was tipping Housekeeping. Always leave a tip for the people who clean your room. They probably deserve it the most too.

[/ QUOTE ]
is this really standard? I've stayed in hotels so many times and never done this except once when we partied so hard the mess was really bad.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
is this really standard? I've stayed in hotels so many times and never done this except once when we partied so hard the mess was really bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, its standard - but I know lots of people who don't do it because the cleaniong staff is out of sight, out of mind. I was once told that the standard is between $5 and $10 a day, but I think there is a lot of leeway - they will likely be happy to receive any tip since too many people ignore their role in assuring your hotel stay is comfortable. Its the right thing to do, but its not the end of the world if you don't.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:59 PM

Well, considering you're paying for a room with daily service, it should be included in the rate. Especially if they don't get tipped much anyway. That said, if they do a nice job for the course of my stay I'll leave $5-$10 for the trip (not per night).

A bad experience regarding tipping in my experience was at Paris, where we had a deal that was something like 3 nights + trip to top of Eiffel Tower + buffet + match play + tip included for bellhop. We sign in with specific deal downstairs and told it is taken care of re: bellhop. Bellhop comes to room, insists he's never heard of the promotion and he doesn't get anything, and doesn't leave until he receives a tip. Start of one of the worst experiences we've had at a hotel (felt like we were treated like true Americans in Paris the whole time).
Old 04-29-2007, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

D'oh!

I generally leave a couple bucks on the pillow when on vacation, too. Forgot all about it.