Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 10:00 AM

Default Re: TheMetetron\'s European Trip Report

nice.

lots of museums though..

oh, and you should add Montmartre and the Sacré-Coeur in Paris, I think it's a must do. What you'd do is take the subway to Pigalle, take a picture of yourself in front of the Moulin Rouge (or not..) then you walk up the Butte Montmartre, stroll around Place du Tertre, make your way trough all the "artists" who want to make your portrait and head to the Basilique du Sacré Coeur. On the left side of the Basilique there is a small entrance, you pay a few bucks and you can go up in the dome of the Basilique; once there you're at the highest point in the city and you have Paris at your feet, great view! When you go down don't forget to get in the Basilique through the main entrance to look inside. Should be done in about 3 hours, not counting subway to get there and back.

Eiffel tower is the worst, you might have to wait in line like 3 hours before you can go up. Same in Berlin with the Reichstag, to go up in the dome, always loads of people...
Old 07-18-2007, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The only thing I would recommend is getting the Eurostar train from Paris to London, its city centre to city centre and your London hotel is central and on the tube line. It will almost certainly be faster overall than moving through two airports, and avoiding the need for a bus from Luton to London will make the trip much more enjoyable.

[/ QUOTE ]
he is probably flying Easyjet which would be quite a lot cheaper than Eurostar.

[edit] actually they're less than 26yo so Eurostar Paris-London should be like 100€ one way so yeah you're right they should take the train but they probably already bought plane tickets [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2007, 10:40 AM

I definitely second the Sacré Coeur recommendation. It's an absolute must-see. Also, you might want to budget more time at the Musee D'Orsay--especially if you're a fan of impressionism. Many prefer it to the Louvre.

As far as French rudeness and language barriers go--you should always try to make an attempt at communicating in French. Most guide books have a list of useful phrases which you could use in a restaurant setting. It's not difficult to greet your waiter and order a meal, and your waiter will probably take your poor French as a cue to speak English. As long as you try to make some sort of effort, you shouldn't have any problem.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:50 AM

regarding the Notre Dame cathedral:
When I was there when I was 16 I was hanging around with a group of 4 or 5 others who were all catholic and Easter happened to fall during our spring break.
So they all wanted to go to Midnight Mass at Notre Dame and it was packed and quite moving and I'm quite glad they dragged me along.
Very impressive.

At the time, they still did their entire service in Latin. Since I was the only one who had taken a little Latin I actually knew some of what they were talking about.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:38 PM

Okay, I've got some more time to waste before I leave (though I still haven't packed and have to get all my [censored] to my friend's place in 4 hours, but whatever. No links this time though.

<u>The Plan</u>

We will be visiting:

Paris, France; London, United Kingdom; Amsterdam, The Netherlands; Barcelona, Spain; Madrid, Spain; Rome, Italy; and Berlin, Germany

Wed 7/18 - TheMetetron leaves Buenos Aires after hopefully securing his articles at a friend's house for the duration of the trip. Really hoping Iberia isn't as bad as I hear. Flight is overnight.

Thu 7/19 - Stopover in Madrid during the morning hours and then continuing on to Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport for a 6pm arrival. Subway/RER to a friend's house in the Paris suburb of Bolougne. Hoping that the French aren't as rude as I hear. Also, desperately hoping English is going to get me there without dying. Crashing early.

Fri 7/20 - With my brother not arriving for 2 more days, I am taking this day (and the next) as my personal side trip to Disneyland Paris. Yes, you all think that is gay and a horrible waste of time. I still don't care... Disneyland has some special place for me growing up there and I've always wanted to see the parks outside of the USA. Therefore, I will be doing so. Taking the RER out there and back each day.

Sat 7/21 - A repeat of the day before. More relaxing at Disneyland Paris while watching some fireworks and riding some rides.

Sun 7/22 My brother arrives at 6pm at CDG after a stopover in Munich (sucker). Since he is bringing me a laptop and 20" monitor from the United States I have to go pick him up and carry this [censored]. Seems pretty retarded since I am paying him $100 to do this for me anyway. I'll spend the morning at the Musée Rodin and the afternoon at Musée Guimet before picking him up. Once we get back to Bolougne it is going to be another early night as tomorrow is packed.

Mon 7/23 - We are planning to be out the door by 6:30 which on second thought seems like some sort of suicide mission, but whatever. Not my idea. Morning stroll through Place de la Concorde and Jardin des Tuileries before finally arriving at the Musée du Louvre in time for it's 9am opening. We are staying there from 9am to 5pm and will probably be eating lunch in the museum itself to save time. Not going to try to see everything but instead will be trying to hit the big things then focus on what interests us most. Still bound to miss a ton which is a shame. After that, we are taking a short Metro trip to the start of Avenue des Champs-Élysées and going to walk down it grabbing dinner at some cafe along the way. At the end, check out the Arc de Triomphe and then take another Metro trip to Le Tour Eiffel and take the elevator to the top. This is going to be an incredibly long day and we won't get back to Bolougne until nearly midnight.

Tue 7/24 - Since we are having such a long day on Monday, the idea with Tuesday is to do it all over again. Brilliant! Out of the door by 8:30 to grab the metro to Jardin du Luxembourg for another morning stroll (see a pattern?) and then off to the Panthéon for its 10am opening. Around noon head over to Quarter Latin and grab lunch before taking in the Cathedrale de Notre-Dame, Sainte-Chapelle, and La Conciergerie all by 6pm. Afterwards we are walking to Saint-Germain-des-Prés to look around and grab dinner at Café de Flore. Depending on tiredness, we are either returning home or heading back to the Quarter Latin for drinks for a bit.

Wed 7/25 - The last full day in Paris. No morning stroll today but instead a 9:30am visit to Musée d'Orsay until lunch time. By 1:30pm we want to be at the Centre Georges Pompidou and then at the Musée national Picasso by 4:30pm depending on amount of things we want to see at each place. We are going to stay in Le Marais for dinner and a visit to the Place des Vosges to look at the outside of Victor Hugo's house and some other random [censored] which is supposedly cool. Finally a trip to Place de la Bastille afterwards for some drinking/clubbing then returning to Bolougne on what will likely be the night bus.

Thu 7/26 - Today should be a good one to sleep in. We don't have to get to the Metro station until almost 11am for our 2pm flight. We get to London Luton a short time later and are taking EasyBus to Victoria Station then the tube to our hostel, The Generator, near Russell Square. We have no plans for that night except to get settled. We are also planning to take advantage of the one day earlier release date of the Simpson's Movie in the UK and catch it at a theater somewhere nearby. Possible bar-hopping in Soho or Covenant Garden.

Fri 7/27 - Today we are walking over to the British Museum in time for its 10am opening. Around lunch time we are taking the tube to Leicester Square for lunch and then taking in The National Gallery. After it closes, we are going to go to The Comedy Store for dinner and pre-show drinks. We have tickets for the 8pm show which will last a few hours and then it is back to our hostel.

Sat 7/28 - Early morning stroll (it's back!) by Buckingham Palace and through St. James Park before arriving at Westminster Abbey in time for its 9:30am opening. Afterwards, walk by the Palace of Westminster while snapping some photographs and hearing Big Ben. Then it is on the tube for a trip to Whitechapel and my brother's home brewed Jack the Ripper how-screwed-up-do-you-have-to-be-to-want-to-go-on-this tour. Should be an interesting experience to say the least. Then it is back on the tube to St. Paul's Cathedral to look at the cathedral, crypt, and towers. Then we are going back to the hostel to refuel, grab some dinner, take a shower, and get ready for the evening. Then it is a ride on the London Eye and a trip to a nearby pub for some pre-party drinks. We are heading to The Ministry of Sound that night and it is a dry club so it is either drink beforehand or find other drugs there. Probably going to be a long night.

Sun 7/29 - The Tower of London opens at 10am and then it is off to the Tate Modern. Then a walk over to the Globe Theatre for Shakespeare's Love's Labour's Lost at 6:30pm where we can hopefully nab some tickets (we took too long to order them before so we have to wait to get there). Light day and after that it is back to the hostel because Monday we have an early flight.

Mon 7/30 - Early flight from Gatwick to Amsterdam. Get into Amsterdam and check into The Bulldog. Absolutely nothing planned after that except some drinking/smoking around the hostel and the red light district.

Tue 7/31 - This is my brother's birthday. We are getting up somewhat early to go to Het Houten Huys by 9. Then off to some place called the Magic Mushroom which I suppose doesn't require much explanation. Lunch and then off to De Appel. Then we check out some giant chess set or something, then go to Filmmuseum, followed by dinner and clubbing in Leidseplein.

Wed 8/1 - Morning visit to the Anne Frank Huis and Westerkerk. Lunch to be eaten in de Waag. Then to the Red Light District to check out Oude Kerk followed by the Rijksmuseum &amp; Van Gogh Museum. Nothing exciting tonight.

Thu 8/2 - 12:00 flight to Barcelona where we check into the Kabul Hostel followed by a visit to the Museu Picasso and some tapas hopping for dinner.

Fri 8/3 - Nothing until lunchtime in Parc Guell then we hit the sights. Casa-Museu Gaudi, Casa Battlo, and La Sagrada Familia followed by dinner at Foodballs and some club/bar hopping.

Sat 8/4 - I can't decipher what he wrote for today. Looks like a long bus ride to some water for lunch and hanging out, then a long bus ride back. Ok sure. Looks like we are going to Poble Nou for some clubs that night.

Sun 8/5 - Train to Madrid where we check into the Mad Hostel. Lunch at Cerveceria 100 Montaditos then off to La Puerta del Sol en Calle Mayor to look at some statues I guess? We seem to have tickets to a bull fight at Plaza de las Ventas and then we are having dinner at the Madrid counterpart to one of my favorite restaurants in Buenos Aires, Olsen, which specializing in Scandinavian cuisine. Incredible fish.

Mon 8/6 - Morning at Museo Reina Sofia. Lunch at Parque del Buen Retiro. Shopping at Mercado Fuencarral. Dinner at Cava Baja. And a flamenco show at Casa Patas.

Tue 8/7 - 11am visit to El Museo del Prado. After lunch visit to El Museo Thyssen-Bomemisza. The we check out some Egyptian temple, Templo de Debod. Dinner will be at Cafe de Oriente in Plaza de Oriente.

Wed 8/8 - 8:30am flight to Rome. We are staying at the Alessandro Downtown. Wasting no time in visiting Santa Maria sopra Minerva and the Pantheon right away. Piazza Novano, dinner, pub hopping, and Fontana di Trevi round out the night.

Thu 8/9 - Vatican City day. Check out Basilica di San Pietro followed by Mass at St. Peter's. Lunch, a visit to the Musei Vaticani and Castel Sant'Angelo round out the afternoon. Dinner at Lo Sputino da Guido e Patrizia followed by taking it easy.

Fri 8/10 - Ancient Rome day. Checking out Palatine Hill, the Colosseum, the Roman Forum, and Musei Capitolini. Hanging out in the area near the hostel that night.

Sat 8/11 - Going to Piazza del Popolo and Villa Borghese in the morning. Galleria Borghese and Santa Maria della Vittoria in the afternoon. Unknown nighttime activities.

Sun 8/12 - Morning flight to Berlin where we check into Mitte Backpackers Hostel. Only thing to see is Dokumentationszentrum der Berliner Mauer before dinner. Then hanging out afterwards and drinking in Prenzlauer Berg.

Mon 8/13 - Morning is going to be spent at Pergamonmuseum with the afternoon at Altes Museum, Bodemuseum, Berliner Dom, and Bebelplatz. Pass by Brandenurger Tor and Reichstag/Bundestag on the way to dinner.

Tue 8/14 - Morning visit to the modern art museum, Hamburger Bahnhof. A visit to some tower, Siegessaule. The afternoon spent screwing around at Sony Center / Potsdamer Platz. Dinner at Cafe V and drinks afterwards in Kreuzberg.

Wed 8/15 - Today we take a trip to a concentration camp, Gedenkstatten Sachsenhausen. After getting back we go to Zoo Bahnhof and have dinner at Schwarzes Cafe before my brother takes off on a train back to Paris for his flight.

Thu 8/16 - I am not a sucker and got a flight back from Berlin, so I get to find something to fill my morning hours with before a night time flight back to Buenos Aires via Madrid.

Sorry the last part is so rushed but I myself haven't even looked over it much and I really need to start packing now [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] There will be no more updates for 4-5 days until I get my laptop in Paris. Later!
Old 07-18-2007, 12:46 PM

Bon voyage!
Old 07-18-2007, 01:10 PM

met - this all sounds awesome and all but just scanning through all this I am somehow doubting you are going to actually pull off each one of these activities on all these days with all the traveling and re-packing and stuff in-between without collapsing.

You seem completely aware that this plan is really pretty insane but your brother must evidently be kind of clueless about it.

Do you guys just not sleep nor suffer the slightest bit of jet-lag or something while also running marathons in your spare-time?
I mean this is REALLY nuts and I'm getting tired just THINKING about trying to do all this.

And I'm thinking your bro might not have considered how long the travel might take from one destination to the next in some pretty crowded cities (not to mention that traveling from one country to another can have its delays too just waiting for the flights, waiting for your luggage, etc).

10am here to 12pm there to 2pm there to 4pm here all feels like he's assuming it will just be an easy 5 minute trip from one place to the next and that you will never have to slow-down to catch your breath or will ever have to wait longer than 3 seconds at a restaurant.

Just the Wed 8/8 day beginning with the 8:30am flight (meaning you need to be at the airport by 7:00 or 7:30 I'm guessing which means you need to get up at 6:30 or earlier I assume) looks like an insanely long and busy day.

And you pretty much do this same stuff day after day after day on this trip.

I've only done parts of Europe and it was 20 yrs ago so I really don't know much about it (although I was in London for 2 weeks so have SOME familiarity...and London is pretty darned crowded) but I just don't see how this is all humanly possible.

You should really encourage your bro to scratch off several of the items on this list and make them 'maybes' depending on how you feel that day.

This all reminds me of my trip to France when I was 16.
They arranged some 2 hour bus-tour of Paris for us shortly after we got off the plane because we were supposedly going to be so excited to be there.
Well, we were of course. But we were also damn tired from a long trip.
Everyone was trying to stay awake on our first drive past the Eiffel Tour and the Arc de Triumph, etc but it was just so damn hard because of the jet-lag and time-zone change.
The whole damn bus eventually passed-out and most everyone was snoring while she kept cheerfully giving the tour.

Anyway, have your bro read my post and convince him to slow the hell down.
Otherwise, I highly anticipate an extremely cranky Metetron to commit a familial homicide somewhere between Spain and Italy.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:42 PM

I've got it broken down better in his crazy spreadsheets, but within each day there is actually a lot of down time built in and a lot of cushion space (several hours in the middle of each day) for things to go wrong.

And once we get past London, the amount of insane running around goes down considerably. We have several days with not much of anything really planned.

I'm aware it is going to be a lot, but I think I can handle it. I'm pretty sure he will be okay too... we shall see soon enough though. It will be interesting nonetheless.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:51 PM

could you report on your budget too?, that would be interesting.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:27 PM

met - prop bet that at least 3 of your planned stops get X'ed out? (ha ha, won't do it actually as you could simply be more determined to get each one it and you should really focus on just enjoying the trip)