Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: HODGEPODGE BRACKET 1v10
Swastika Gandhi 28 80.00%
General Robert E. Lee Smith 7 20.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2007, 07:53 AM

Default Re: Free (as in speech) education?

I think the alternate theory "he has no clue what AC is, despite trolling this forum constantly" needs to be considered.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tell me, what education to ACers wish upon children?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you trying to tell me that ACers will let the children choose what education they wish to have? LOL
Old 07-10-2007, 08:35 AM

No, I think ACers will let the PARENTS decide what education the children will have.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No, I think ACers will let the PARENTS decide what education the children will have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to give the children a chance, I am glad that most parents aren't directly responsible for the curriculum. I mean you have to try to give the children a chance. Going, by a lot of post from ACers on this forum I think it would be cruel. Really to think that setting up is just a matter of choice, defies understanding of what education is about. It is to improve on the parents! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Of course it is different if you think that the parents sort of own their children, like other chattel and property. Comne to think of it, that is a very AC view of things.

Luckily, this is a politic forum, not an AC one, and dissent is allowed! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2007, 10:30 AM

Dissent is always allowed; whether or not it is useful depends on the level of thought that goes into it.

It's interesting to hear that you think a monolithic government should have more of a role in raising people's children but you'll have to excuse me if I don't leap to support the idea that some central government knows more about how to raise their children than the parents. Between the secular state and television, I guess you've got that whole 'teach people to be moral' thing covered. And what better examples for how to behave morally, than an organization that has institutionalized murder and theft and a device that seems set to 'sex and violance'.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is a free educational system necessary for a free society?

[/ QUOTE ]
I assume you are allowing some small element of coercion in the free society you are asking us to consider (or else it is tautologically true, no?)

If you mean a partially free or more free society than what we have now then I think no. People like yourself seem a good argument that one can develop a healthy respect for freedom and disdain for the state, even in the face of a government controlled educational system. I dont think a state system necessarily leads to a bad system, although probably an inefficient one. It seems to me that the education I received encouraged individual, critical thinking - that's all that is required of the education system to allow a free society in my view and I dont think this is precluded by having the state control it. (Even ceding the point that it will be less prevalent in a state system than an unregulated system).
Old 07-10-2007, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...you'll have to excuse me if I don't leap to support the idea that some central government knows more about how to raise their children than the parents...

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you think that a central government knows more about how to raise their children than some parents? I would think this would be the claim of a statist - that the coercive control is necessary to protect those unfortunate enough to be born to incompetent parents and that the state should aim to leave competent parents free to bring their kids up as they liked.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to give the children a chance, I am glad that most parents aren't directly responsible for the curriculum. I mean you have to try to give the children a chance. Going, by a lot of post from ACers on this forum I think it would be cruel. Really to think that setting up is just a matter of choice, defies understanding of what education is about.

[/ QUOTE ]

The standard false dichotomy. If you don't want state-supplied schools, you must not want any school at all, you're going to do everything yourself.

[ QUOTE ]
It is to improve on the parents! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course. People are too dumb to teach their kids anything. So we're going to make your kids listen to other people, who are just as dumb (hey, the axiom is that people are dumb, right?), possibly even dumber, and have no investment in your children.

[ QUOTE ]
Of course it is different if you think that the parents sort of own their children, like other chattel and property. Comne to think of it, that is a very AC view of things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is exactly right, in the same way that all of your pronouncements are right. Black is white, up is down, freedom is slavery.

[ QUOTE ]
Luckily, this is a politic forum, not an AC one, and dissent is allowed! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The hits just keep coming!
Old 07-10-2007, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just to give the children a chance, I am glad that most parents aren't directly responsible for the curriculum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think parents should be thrown in jail for teaching their kids creationism?
Old 07-10-2007, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...you'll have to excuse me if I don't leap to support the idea that some central government knows more about how to raise their children than the parents...

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you think that a central government knows more about how to raise their children than some parents? I would think this would be the claim of a statist - that the coercive control is necessary to protect those unfortunate enough to be born to incompetent parents and that the state should aim to leave competent parents free to bring their kids up as they liked.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if you re-read my post you will see I did not say what you think I said ;0