Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2007, 03:25 PM

Default Re: things that you\'re unnecessarily ocd about

My mom has a bizarre one she's had since about age 5 and she calls it "counting". Basically she uses the numbers 1 through 8 and each one has a certain 'weight'. The weight is not based on the number itself but rather how many strokes it takes to draw the number. So a 1 weighs one because it's a single stroke. A 2 weighs two, a 3 weighs two, a 4 weighs three, etc. An 8 is one but can be made a two by drawing two circles instead of with a single "figure-eight" stroke (however that is not optimal).

She then "assigns" these numbers (1 through 8) to random things and then based on the weights the object(s) must balance (as if on a fulcrum or something).

So a basic example would be a picture hanging on the wall and she would assign numbers to the corners, then the sides, and then have to envision based on the weights that the picture would still hang correctly and not tilt to one side. A single picture is just a basic example, she can do it to several objects at once in an entire room. It is worth bonus points for her to get to 16 and it is ultimate feng shui for her to get to 32. She designs every room in her house around this concept. If the "count" is wrong she will rearrange the room.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:27 PM

I wash my hands every time before using my new PC/laptop as I don't want them infested with germs [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I keep my favourite books in perfect condition - one crease on the cover and I'd go mental.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:34 PM

I only set my alarm clock to palindromes.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:37 PM

The Britta container always has to be full.

And I always wear the same outfit for Ravens home games, away games, and when I go to the game (three outfits, one for each).

- C
Old 08-19-2007, 04:39 PM

Dude your mom might benefit from some medication. Or maybe a grant. Can't decide.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:50 PM

Is it weird that I don't consider any of the above particularly weird?
Old 08-19-2007, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My mom has a bizarre one she's had since about age 5 and she calls it "counting". Basically she uses the numbers 1 through 8 and each one has a certain 'weight'. The weight is not based on the number itself but rather how many strokes it takes to draw the number. So a 1 weighs one because it's a single stroke. A 2 weighs two, a 3 weighs two, a 4 weighs three, etc. An 8 is one but can be made a two by drawing two circles instead of with a single "figure-eight" stroke (however that is not optimal).

She then "assigns" these numbers (1 through 8) to random things and then based on the weights the object(s) must balance (as if on a fulcrum or something).

So a basic example would be a picture hanging on the wall and she would assign numbers to the corners, then the sides, and then have to envision based on the weights that the picture would still hang correctly and not tilt to one side. A single picture is just a basic example, she can do it to several objects at once in an entire room. It is worth bonus points for her to get to 16 and it is ultimate feng shui for her to get to 32. She designs every room in her house around this concept. If the "count" is wrong she will rearrange the room.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF...
Old 08-19-2007, 08:21 PM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

poker accounting
Old 08-19-2007, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF...

[/ QUOTE ]

your dad must have a fun time in the sack.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:32 PM

at work we have a sheet were we keep a list of active trains in our terminal. one column for inbound and terminating trains, one column for outbound and originating. We mark the trains off the list with highlighters as they arrive or depart. yellow for terminating/originating, pink for run throughs (typically.) the lines that the trains are listed on are wider than the highlighter tips. everyone else just crosses them off with one swipe and leaves white space on the page. I can't stand the white space. My lines have to be completely filled in. I also have to go back and fill in my predecessor's lines on the sheet he leaves me.

(what does ocd stand for?)