Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2006, 09:42 PM

Default Re: Christians - could you ever be convinced god does not exist?

[ QUOTE ]
I think most athiests agree that they could be convinced god did exist, if proof was presented. (Say, for example, god came to earth and raised my dead grandmother from her grave... I'd certainly believe in god in that case.)

[/ QUOTE ]

That's nice to hear, but how would you know it was God?
No matter how one looks at it, it still comes down to belief does it not? What I mean is, you would have to make a decision based on what you saw as to whether this is the God you would believe in.
I personally do not believe that our brain is the place to go to look for these answers; but in the heart, the soul, the spirit, or whatever one wishes to call it.
In answer to your question; no matter what would be said, or what would happen.. there would be no proof, no empirical evidence. It would still be my belief that is the deciding factor here.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:40 PM

The obvious answer is yes. I used to be hooked on the jesus. Now I've been god-free for seven years. One day at a time.
Holla
Old 08-20-2006, 11:42 PM

It would seem pretty counterintuitve based on Jesus's words in the Bible (but then again, who knows if he really said any of that or if it was merely human manipulation for their own gains). I would probably ask the god-like being what jesus's purpose truly was, what truth really was, etc.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I personally do not believe that our brain is the place to go to look for these answers; but in the heart, the soul, the spirit, or whatever one wishes to call it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is ridiculous...

Do you see why?
Old 08-21-2006, 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

This is ridiculous...

Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I sure don't.

I must have missed the results of that scientific study. Could you post a link or something?
Old 08-21-2006, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

This is ridiculous...

Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I sure don't.

I must have missed the results of that scientific study. Could you post a link or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

no..there is no scientific study..that's the point..

when it comes to this supernatural entity known as God, we cannot find answers about Him with our brains (or come to the logical conclusion that He even exists IMO)...we must look through an undetctable mechanism known as the soul/spirit/heart now???...

and where do you suppose that I should go to find out whether or not the soul/spirit/heart exists??

my problem is that you've now invented an undetectable mechanism to detect an undetectable being..where will it end?

please excuse me if you can't see how frustrating this is.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my problem is that you've now invented an undetectable mechanism to detect an undetectable being..where will it end?

please excuse me if you can't see how frustrating this is.

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is really the point of my original post.

Christians know their god exists.
As do Muslims, Jews, Hindus, and countless other religions throughout human history.

They require no proof that these gods exist, other than that they "know it" in their heart/soul/spirit/what have you.

They argue that athiests offer no proof of god's non-existence, yet they can't even tell you what they would accept as proof. This is because there is none they would accept.

I am trying to think of a way to constructively debate god's existence. But how can you do that, when every objection to god (and there are many valid ones) are all dismissed with the response, "Well I know he exists in my heart"?

I agree, it is very frustrating. Perhaps it is a futile waste of time. Perhaps the only way a believer can switch to a position of non-belief, is some sort of epiphany where their rational mind suddenly awakes after years of blind acceptance.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when it comes to this supernatural entity known as God, we cannot find answers about Him with our brains

[/ QUOTE ]
Not true.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps the only way a believer can switch to a position of non-belief, is some sort of epiphany where their rational mind suddenly awakes after years of blind acceptance.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's actually the other way around. A non-believer such as yourself CANNOT come to God unless He calls you. When you're ready, He will call.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:05 PM

Has any theist on this thread actually given a concrete example of something that would make them disbeieve in God?
(And by "God" I think one should mean something less precise than Jesus, since finding his body would be evidence against a specific religion only, but more precise than a deistic god who merely created the universe. That's God # 3 by my rating system, and is the one most people usually argue about on this forum.)