Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2006, 12:56 AM

Default Re: How do you handle people trying to tilt you

Stop being so paranoid and self-centered. It doesn't seem like these people were trying to tilt you at all. This is how they play, and you allowed it to affect you. If they're this bad, I doubt "ooh we can tilt this guy" enters their heads at all. If you can't adjust to it properly, find a different table/room/game.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:24 PM

whip it out

its usually all fun and games until somebody sees a wang
Old 12-10-2006, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I try to tilt them by trying to find out if they have any recent deaths in the family and then making fun of that family member.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is Hilarious.

If im playing live and some douche says something about me playing tight, which does happen from time to time, i just smile dont say anything and chuckle to myself when he limps J4o utg next hand. Playing online, just turn chat off.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

...I didnt mean to sound racist. I know just as many if not more arabics who are quiet and play normally as those who are obnoxious. But the ones that are obnoxious are these 1 of a kind ticking time bombs....

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that you have stumblet across some kind of cultural difference gem here.
In my final year of highschool (approximate equivalent that is) one of my teachers explained some things about the cultural differences. One of the things I remember quite clearly is that people in the Middle East generally have a much more volatile way of expressing themselves.
So if someone form the Middle East fx. says "I want to chop up your mother, and feed her to the dogs!" it wouldn't be meant as harsh, as if someone from the US said it.

It is a bit like how the f-word is a much harsher swear word in the US than where I live (Denmark, Europe).
Old 12-10-2006, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(other than this issue he's a good player so I'd rather not have him at the table).

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes you wonder, is he good, or is he only good when he's running well? If he gets that pissed just about calling stations to where he leaves, I have a hard time thinking he's really that good.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

By good, I meant he understands the fundementals of playing the cards. This is opposed to the people playing any two, and chasing to the river. He is lost when the game requires you to play the person though.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:45 PM

Do whatever you can to stay off the topic of poker. I'm sure the whole table isn't against you, but if you think that they are, you should leave. I would combat this situation by doing a lot of smiling and nodding, but very little actual talking.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:15 AM

i let them think it's working.

if they outdraw me, or if i lose a few pots to caught cbets, then i act all pissed off and if i hit a hand soon, in the midst of my hem and hawing, i'll hopefully be more likely to win more than my fair share back.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:00 AM

This probably isn't very useful, but I love it when people try to do this. That's because I've had so much practice of people trying to psyche me out from poker and from playing other games, that I'm way better at it than most people.

Practice makes perfect - get yourself into more situations where they're trying to tilt you, and practice not tilting.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:46 PM

Act tilted but play your normal game [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]