FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Lion vs. Elephant
Lion 38 19.19%
Elephant 160 80.81%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2007, 12:32 AM

Default Re: OOT expose your prejudice

also, some of these are really funny

some people would think more of someone if they were gay? or if they voted democrat? some would think less of someone if they voted republican? really?? sadness..

another dumb one, more people (more than half!) would think less of someone if they were christian, but less people would think less of someone if they were muslim. pure hilarity there. just more proof that in today's society it's basically not ok to make fun of a person unless they are a straight, white, or christian
Old 05-02-2007, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
another dumb one, more people (more than half!) would think less of someone if they were christian, but less people would think less of someone if they were muslim. pure hilarity there. just more proof that in today's society it's basically not ok to make fun of a person unless they are a straight, white, or christian

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the one that I still can't understand, and I think you nailed the reason perfectly. This and that more people would think less of someone for being in the army then for smoking pot....wtf?
Old 05-02-2007, 12:36 AM

I went less for smoking, heroin, muslim, christian, republican and army. More for atheist. Same for others.

Thought for a bit about coke (I said same considered less) and atheist. For atheist I said more but it could be more less or the same depending on how it was brought up. If it was some sort of reasonable discussion of the existence of a god then I would go more. If he was obnoxious about it I would go less. If he was in the hasn't thought much about it but believes no god exists I would go same.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:50 AM

I voted same for all but 2.

Atheist - I think you should keep it to yourself. If we had only been talking 20 minutes I would think less of them if they brought it up out of the blue. I am agnostic but I think maybe 3 people I know in real life know that. And they asked about it. For some reason I don't mind if people believe in something and want to tell me about it. It seems more positive. Saying I believe if I carry these pretty rocks around with me makes my life easy would not make me think less of a person. It is a positive statement. Crazy but positive. Saying God does no exist seems negative. Like if every kid you meet you told them Santa is not real, same motivation imo.

OOT as a home page - I have OOT as my home page but I voted I would think less of the person. And I would not admit to them that I read it. lol

Edit : Just to be clear I do believe in santa I'm just saying some people don't and they should keep it to them selves. k
Old 05-02-2007, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
some would think less of someone if they voted republican? really?? sadness..

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the person. I was assuming someone about my age (late 20s). I know some people who are well off and vote for republicans because it's financially better for them. That I have no problem with.

I think for someone who is in their 20s voting for Bush in the last election is a fairly bad signal without more info. This is especially true given the way a lot of the campaign went. If you're considering the midterm elections, I'm in Pennsylvania and cannot imagine myself being friends at all with anybody who voted for Santorum.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
also, some of these are really funny

some people would think more of someone if they were gay? or if they voted democrat? some would think less of someone if they voted republican? really?? sadness..

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah - at least all of my answers were consistent!
Old 05-02-2007, 12:57 AM

a couple points jared,

first of all you're bringing in specific elections now which you should realize is complete horse [censored]. the question was "voted republican".

also you mention that you would have no problem with someone voting for their own interest, but not for a person who voted on what they believe in? seems backwards to me

it's just so sick that people tend to think what they believe in is superior, they don't see that democrats/republicans, it's all the same [censored] it's just different ideas. there's no evil party or good party. i dunno.. like i said, sadness
Old 05-02-2007, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Its weird that a devout Muslim wouldn't really change my opinion, but I'd think less of a devout Christian. I wonder if that's because I'm exposed to more crazy Christians, there's something that takes more dedication to be devoutly Muslim and that balances it out, or what.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was surprised by this result
Old 05-02-2007, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Its weird that a devout Muslim wouldn't really change my opinion, but I'd think less of a devout Christian. I wonder if that's because I'm exposed to more crazy Christians, there's something that takes more dedication to be devoutly Muslim and that balances it out, or what.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was surprised by this result

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it has as much to do with dedication as it has to do with perceived consistency.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

it's just so sick that people tend to think what they believe in is superior, they don't see that democrats/republicans, it's all the same [censored] it's just different ideas. there's no evil party or good party. i dunno.. like i said, sadness

[/ QUOTE ]

not to derail this into a politics thread, but I think the reason for that is politics has really become no different than a sport. Its always this side won, that side lost. Its not just ideas or about whats good for the people, its about the democrats beating the republicans, or vice versa. So since the media just pounds that down our throats 24/7 (complete with as many stupid stats an analysts as an NBA playoff series) its not that shocking that people view it as good/evil and choose one side to pledge their undying allegiance for and hate all opposition to their "team".